Battery kill switch ideas

General musical discussions that don't fall under other categories.
colliderman

Battery kill switch ideas

Post by colliderman »

I'd really like to install a battery kill switch in my Fly Deluxe as I'm finding it quite annoying and troublesome to constantly unplug my guitar.

I understand from a technical standpoint how the mod would work as it's quite simple, I'm just looking for some ideas from folks who've maybe done this before in a clever way that I haven't thought of. I don't really want to drill any holes so ideally it would make use of one of the holes already there, maybe by swapping a component to something that is dual purpose and includes a switch. Any ideas are welcomed and appreciated!
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Re: Battery kill switch ideas

Post by Patzag »

Personally I don’t mind unplugging, but if I had to install such a switch, I’d want to just replace one of the pots with one that also functions as a switch. Turn down the tone pot and get a satisfying click at the end of the rotation indicating the battery is now disconnected.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Though you've likely thought of it: One of my Flys has the 9v routed through a push-pull pot I leave in the "up" position when I'm not playing; so I can leave the guitar plugged in during the dozens of times in a typical noodling session I set it down to go be distracted by something in another part of my house. Compared to the backplate switches I've tried, I find my feeble mind often requires a more obvious visual/tactile cue on the face of the guitar, where my picking hand is more likely to find it in playing position: "Wait a minute: This knob is supposed to be down where the others are! Marc feel smart."
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
colliderman

Post by colliderman »

Patzag wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:57 am Personally I don’t mind unplugging, but if I had to install such a switch, I’d want to just replace one of the pots with one that also functions as a switch. Turn down the tone pot and get a satisfying click at the end of the rotation indicating the battery is now disconnected.
I’m constantly picking my guitar up and putting it down during the day for work so having to unplug it each time gets tedious and half the time I forget. Been going through a lot of batteries!

I’ve considered a push pull but hadn’t really thought of a pot with a switch at the end of its travel. I do like that idea thanks!
colliderman

Post by colliderman »

mmmguitar wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:08 pm Though you've likely thought of it: One of my Flys has the 9v routed through a push-pull pot I leave in the "up" position when I'm not playing; so I can leave the guitar plugged in during the dozens of times in a typical noodling session I set it down to go be distracted by something in another part of my house. Compared to the backplate switches I've tried, I find my feeble mind often requires a more obvious visual/tactile cue on the face of the guitar, where my picking hand is more likely to find it in playing position: "Wait a minute: This knob is supposed to be down where the others are! Marc feel smart."
A push pull is definitely a good option and that’s a great point about having a visual cue whether it’s on or off. I wonder if the original push on knobs have enough grip on the pot shaft to not pop off each time I pull it.

A switch on the backplate is interesting and something I considered but wasn’t really sure what type of switch or how to mount it so that I wouldn’t accidentally switch it. You’ve actually seen this before though? I guess some sort of push button switch, or maybe a slider?
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

colliderman wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:41 pm You’ve actually seen this before though? I guess some sort of push button switch, or maybe a slider?
Yep. Anything SPST can be used to interrupt the battery-negative wire's path to the jack lug acting as an on/off switch when a 1/4" plug is inserted. My Belew uses a screw-mounted slider switch in the backplate, and I used one with my Supreme prior to deciding I preferred the push/pull. If you prefer the action of a pushbutton or rocker switch, it's only a matter of what you have room for.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Augustonian

Post by Augustonian »

Not sure what year you've got, but I've considered using the push button from the prerefined as a battery switch as I never really use my piezo and mag pickups at the same time.

Similarly, on my refined I use a push pot to do the work. I have some rubber knobs on it that definitely have enough friction for it to be a non issue.