P-36 Value and Serial Number Decoder?

Have something Parker-related to sell? Post about it here. Three things you need to know:
1. This area is for Parker Guitars and related accessories only
2. Post a clear asking price
3. This site assumes no responsibility in these transactions
oldair1968

P-36 Value and Serial Number Decoder?

Post by oldair1968 »

Hi everyone,

First time posting here - please take it easy on me. I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a mint Parker P-36, the gentleman has lowered the the price to $675. I checked on Reverb and only see one for sale there and it is the same color/model that I may be buying:

https://reverb.com/item/67377610-parker-p-36-original

On Reverb, the asking price for the listing above is $2,499 which seems high but that is another topic, do you feel that $675 is a fair price for this guitar? Just to be clear, the guitar on Reverb is not the same guitar I am thinking of buying from a guy here local to me. I am using the Reverb listing simply as a comparison.

Also, the seller I am dealing with says the guitar is a 2003 PARKER Fly P-36 but based on the serial number and the fact that it is made in Indonesia I think that it may be a 2008. The serial number is "08031152".

Thanks in advance!!!
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Re: P-36 Value and Serial Number Decoder?

Post by mmmguitar »

Welcome, @oldair1968.

Per recently sold listings, it would seem that P-36s have been going for between $450-$1,000 USD, depending on condition. You can reference this in negotiating what you feel is the fairest price with the seller.

You seem to already know about the following; so this is moreso for the sake of others:

According to this thread, the year of this particular P-36's production will come down to whether it says "Made in Korea" or "Made in Indonesia" on the headstock: As you see posted in the thread, the "official" serial reading was that the first two digits established year in a "YY-MM-Production Number" format. But there are posters who have presented argument for a "MM-YY-Production Number" format (which your seller seems to be using). Based on the data shared in the thread, the Korean-made P series guitars were produced until 2007; with the Indonesia-labeled ones indicative of 2007-onward.

This old Reverb listing seems to confirm that you're correct about the production year.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
oldair1968

Post by oldair1968 »

mmmguitar wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:24 pm Welcome, @oldair1968.

Per recently sold listings, it would seem that P-36s have been going for between $450-$1,000 USD, depending on condition. You can reference this in negotiating what you feel is the fairest price with the seller.

You seem to already know about the following; so this is moreso for the sake of others:

According to this thread, the year of this particular P-36's production will come down to whether it says "Made in Korea" or "Made in Indonesia" on the headstock: As you see posted in the thread, the "official" serial reading was that the first two digits established year in a "YY-MM-Production Number" format. But there are posters who have presented argument for a "MM-YY-Production Number" format (which your seller seems to be using). Based on the data shared in the thread, the Korean-made P series guitars were produced until 2007; with the Indonesia-labeled ones indicative of 2007-onward.

This old Reverb listing seems to confirm that you're correct about the production year.
Thank you so much, I appreciate the feedback!!!
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

oldair1968 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:36 pm Thank you so much, I appreciate the feedback!!!
My pleasure. I just hope the other guys knew what they were talking about - I'm merely one of those guitarists who memorizes wrong answers on the internet.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory