Questionable spring with rust

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
Rmer

Questionable spring with rust

Post by Rmer »

Good morning all. This will be my first Fly purchase. I'm looking at a 2001 Fly Classic that is in very good condition, except for rust on a spring. It's offered at a good price, in person transaction and I'll be able to play. Is the rust indicative of poor care? He said It's lived most of it's life in a case. I've video chatted with the seller and he seems real nice and straight up. Should I avoid?
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Questionable spring with rust

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @Rmer—I would not be shy about getting that Fly; rust can occur on those springs even if they’re sitting out in a humidity-controlled environment, so, in my research into Fly springs, rust on a spring has more to do with the treatment of the spring steel than it has to do with an indicator that the instrument by-and-large was not cared for.

I hope this helps. Feel free to take it with a grain of salt (or a shot of penicillin?), but as I said—if it were me I wouldn’t be deterred by that.
Gregsaab

Re: Questionable spring with rust

Post by Gregsaab »

vjmanzo wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:31 pm Feel free to take it with a grain of salt (or a shot of penicillin?)…
:lol:
1998 Deluxe in Dusty Black
1999 Deluxe in Emerald Green
2011 Mojo in Transparent Red [sold]