GK-3 install/tape residue

Parts, mods, projects, and requests/concepts based on adaptations of Fly parts
locul

GK-3 install/tape residue

Post by locul »

Glad to have joined this group!
I just got my first Parker Deluxe
I also got the VG 8 guitar system and now need to get my GK-3 installed.
I'm nervous about this process. Ideally I would like to have it internal but right now the cost is an issue.
SOOO I would like to mount it on my new baby with the tape that came with the GK-3.
Does anyone out there have any experience with this type of install. Is it stable? can it be removed without damaging the finish of the guitar?
hopefully I can afford to get it internally placed at some point.
Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions

lori
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: GK-3 install/tape residue

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi Lori and welcome! Congrats on the new Fly!

Others here—for sure—have more experience with installing/removing the GK series transducers, but I can say that naphtha and a little patience is usually all it takes to remove tape residue from those sorts of devices on a Fly.
locul

Post by locul »

that is reassuring, thanks
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Hello, Lori.
locul wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:18 pm Does anyone out there have any experience with this type of install. Is it stable? can it be removed without damaging the finish of the guitar?
Though the tape Roland supplies should be safe for your Fly's finish, I remember it being lower tack than the roll of M3 mounting tape I have (which is also safe). As VJ says: If there did happen to be any residue, a common finish-safe cleaner such as naphtha/petroleum distillates (common lighter fluid, depending on your region) would take care of it. Note that the Fly has a carved top; so you may have to experiment a bit with mounting it. You may also find you need to raise your string action to accommodate the pickup.

For what it's worth, I've owned external and internal GK-mounted Flys (I ended up screw-mounting them to deal with the carved top). I never did figure out why the Roland pickups kept turning the guitars orange.

gk out.jpeg
gk in.jpeg
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory