Help Identifying this model

Show and tell! This is a place to showcase your Parker guitar! New members are encouraged to introduce themselves here.
TheWaltzilla17

Help Identifying this model

Post by TheWaltzilla17 »

Hey everyone! I recently traded a 2007 Fender Jaguar Bass for this Parker guitar. I was wondering if anyone can help identify exactly what model and year it is. The previous owner was told that it was a 2012 limited run model in a rare color. I posted it on other sites and got answers from its the lowest end model with a custom paintjob and upgraded pickups to its a rare custom model. What also is throwing everyone off is the serial number is 9 digits long with nothing about being made in the USA anywhere. The pickups were upgraded to fishman fluence killswitch engage signature pickups.
Thanks everyone!!!
Attachments
20231116_232035.jpg
20231116_231951.jpg
20231116_231917.jpg
20231116_231811.jpg
20231116_231644.jpg
jester700

Re: Help Identifying this model

Post by jester700 »

I think it's closest to an imported PDF85 with a custom paint job and aftermarket Fluence pups installed. Originally sold for about $800, IIRC. Similar to a USA DF622, but:
The tuning keys are imports, not Sperzels (of course, they could be non-original)
The neck bolt pattern looks like the import version, not the USA made bolt ons. See attachment, and note the spacing between the rightmost bolt and the rest. I tried putting a DF neck on a PDF body once and ran into this difference.
Parker.jpg
If the neck hadn't been painted over, you could see whether it was flatsawn (import) or quartersawn (USA), and the imports used imported instead of USA Seymour Duncan pickups. There might be further info in the pup cavities or neck pocket if you ever decide to have a peek and any marks weren't painted over, but I couldn't tell you what to look for. Imports also didn't use steel frets, so if you start to see corrosion or wear, there's another clue.

So, it's not a rare custom USA model. Sorry. But it's not the cheapest import, either. It has the vibrato, and the knob layout and battery compartment say it has the piezo pickups in the bridge. Also, it has the ergonomic neck heel, not the squarish one found on the lowest imports. I have a PDF80 and think it's a sweet guitar, but it's odd to shell out the $$ for a custom paint job and Fluence pups at this level. Also, all of the imports with trem and Piezo had flame or quilt veneers, so why paint over that? Still, with the upgrades I'll bet it's a sweet sounding & playing guitar.

As for the serial, imports had a 9 digit serial, which may have been added back when refinishing. I think it does indicate a 2012, and the PDF85 model was made that year. One other note; this shape was referred to as a Dragonfly, a Maxxfly, a DF, or a PDF. It's never been called a Fly, so the graphic wouldn't be factory.
bjtgpfalfk8em4lyilp7.jpg
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

TheWaltzilla17 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:32 pm …help identify exactly what model and year it is.
I noticed that you have this instrument listed for sale on eBay.

Perhaps you’d consider revising the listing title and description since it is, in fact, not a Fly?
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

According to the concurrent listings on Reverb and Facebook, "everyone is stumped on the exact Fly model."

Though I understand that the waterslide "Fly Guitar" decal pictured and linked below would seem to be a clear indicator of SKU, in this case it's a red herring: The reason for the confusion is that there's no reason for a decal specific to US-built Fly guitars to be on what seems to be an Indonesian-built, non-Fly guitar (as indicated by the serial, tuners, and what appears to be a slab ebony fretboard). Additionally, I don't recall any other commercially produced bolt-on Parker necks in that style being painted. I'm essentially +1ing everything jester700 pointed out.
parker_logo3 copy.jpg
parker_logo3 copy.jpg (17.41 KiB) Viewed 9804 times
_files/Documents/Parker_Fly_Waterslides.pdf

Should there happen to be a "Sims" signature in a pickup rout, or in the neck pocket or control cavity, that would pin it down as a refinish by Patrick Sims (who would have used the same paint and decals to refinish Roy Smith's Fly). I'm not claiming that it must be a refinish - Just that it would be sufficient explanation for these incongruities. Were it indeed a "rare custom model", the labels would still conform to production standards to do with the model name and country of origin (Hence "Customized" being what I'd guess). There's a similar situation with the purported "Prototype" Parker bass that's been for sale.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Bump. This guitar was confirmed to have been refinished by Dave Vogele (of Vogele Custom Guitars, Granger Indiana) in the Parker Guitars FB group:

vogele pdf.jpeg
vogele pdf 2.jpeg

Per Jester700's helpful insights and cited evidence, I feel the guitar is strongly confirmed to be an Indonesian-made, 2012 PDF85 (serial 120905937) which Dave Vogele has confirmed having added an incongruous Fly logo to in the course of refinishing the body and neck green. Dave claims to forego the need for decals by way of using digitally produced stencils to spray the serial digits, "Fly" logo, and side fret markers on.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory