Electronic issue

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
Gregsaab

Electronic issue

Post by Gregsaab »

A couple days ago my ‘98 started having an issue where it now takes 10 seconds for any sound to be emitted, and when it does, it is distorted/very boosted. Something else I noticed is that my wire does not feel very tight in the 1/4” inch jack - almost feels like it is not fully engaged.

Edit: no problem with the Fly, just my wireless transmitter
1998 Deluxe in Dusty Black
1999 Deluxe in Emerald Green
2011 Mojo in Transparent Red [sold]
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Re: Electronic issue

Post by Patzag »

Your jack is probably recessed too far into the guitar. The collar has to be screwed in a bit to allow the jack to travel all the way in.
Open the backplate to prevent the jack from rotating and ripping the ribbon cable as you tighten the collar.
As needed, adjust the nut inside to ensure proper positioning.
Gregsaab

Post by Gregsaab »

Patzag wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:08 pm Your jack is probably recessed too far into the guitar. The collar has to be screwed in a bit to allow the jack to travel all the way in.
Open the backplate to prevent the jack from rotating and ripping the ribbon cable as you tighten the collar.
As needed, adjust the nut inside to ensure proper positioning.
I’ll give that a go - do you think that could result in the delayed output etc?
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Gregsaab wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:10 pm I’ll give that a go - do you think that could result in the delayed output etc?
Though I'm not much help with '90s Fly electronics, I can at least cheer you on: The delayed output could be a consequence of the preamp not being triggered to switch on when a 1/4" plug is first inserted into the parasite plug portion of the jack. The fact that it does *eventually* power on (despite outputting a distorted signal) is a sign that the issue may be specific to the jack; and not a component further up in the signal path.

I may as well review the obvious: Any difference when swapping in a new 9 volt or toggling the mono/stereo switch? Does the distorted signal being outputted correspond with the knob and switch positions on the face of the guitar (e.g. mag signal isolated, piezo signal isolated, individual volume pots tested fully up and off, along with the master volume pot, etc.)?
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Gregsaab

Post by Gregsaab »

Rolling the volume back did reduce distortion - I only attempted the mono switch when waiting for the output, so I’m not sure on that front. The battery has a vintage of about a month.

I’m going to adjust the jack later today, will keep you guys updated.
Gregsaab

Post by Gregsaab »

I’m just getting to this now - it’s not obvious to me how to modify the depth of the jack. Does the jack thread onto the outer plate, or is the plate and the inner threads a single piece? There is very little room to adjust the ring on the threads.

This helps a bit: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48
Gregsaab

Post by Gregsaab »

Well… the issue has nothing to do with the Fly, it’s the wireless transmitter. Huge relief!
Gregsaab

Post by Gregsaab »

The wireless system was the main culprit for the sound issue, however the output jack is definitely recessed too much. How does one adjust it? There is so little space and rotating the jack would rip the ribbon.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Gregsaab wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:14 pm The wireless system was the main culprit for the sound issue, however the output jack is definitely recessed too much. How does one adjust it? There is so little space and rotating the jack would rip the ribbon.
It's a little bit delicate, but not too hard to do. There is a nut inside the cavity that determines how far the Jack protrudes from the body. If the jack is recessed, too much, you need to loosen the bolt turn or two, then push the jack out, and then using a paperclip or a needle nose plier rotate the endcap on the Jack, so it clamps down and provides the necessary pressure to keep the Jack in its place. It's a little hard to explain, and so much easier to describe with photos or diagram, which I cannot do right now.
Gregsaab

Post by Gregsaab »

What tool would one use to manipulate the recessed nut?
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Gregsaab wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:41 pm What tool would one use to manipulate the recessed nut?
I just used fine pliers. And my fingers.
Big Swifty
Forum Veteran

Post by Big Swifty »

Gregsaab wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:02 pm Well… the issue has nothing to do with the Fly, it’s the wireless transmitter. Huge relief!
@Gregsaab for those of us following along at home, do you mind mentioning the brand of transmitter?

And, if you know, why this occurred and the fix?

Just help broaden the knowledge pool..I've never heard of this before, but I'm guessing digital conundrums of some sort.

Cheers

B.S.
The system can't get you in your dreams.
Gregsaab

Post by Gregsaab »

This is the transmitter that I have been using for about 2 years: https://a.co/d/h3iL6QN. Initially, I ordered three - kept two and gifted another. My first set lasted about 1.5 years, the backup (the one that was culprit in OP) was faulty from the start. The fix was to buy another one as I was well outside of the return period at that point 8-)
Gregsaab

Post by Gregsaab »

In regards to tightening the endcap with a paperclip — is that the function of the little hole here?
Attachments
6597A9E6-5741-41B1-BA87-EBA16FA11A3A.jpeg
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Gregsaab wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:01 pm In regards to tightening the endcap with a paperclip — is that the function of the little hole here?
Parker had a tool devised for that purpose. I use a very fine jewelry screwdriver or needle nose pliers. I have used a paperclip for that purpose.
Gregsaab

Post by Gregsaab »

As I understand this, I will loosen the nut in the cavity, push the jack towards the cap, turn the cap clock-wise so as to thread the jack into the cap, then retighten the nut?
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Gregsaab wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:29 pm As I understand this, I will loosen the nut in the cavity, push the jack towards the cap, turn the cap clock-wise so as to thread the jack into the cap, then retighten the nut?
Yes. But I find it easier to have the final tightening on the cap end. The nut is hard to reach to tighten. So all your steps are good, but before you tighten the cap fully, back the nut off a 1/4 turn and finish the job with tightening the cap.
Gregsaab

Post by Gregsaab »

Well, this issue has resurfaced/evolved. When in mono mode (button in), the sound is normal for the first minute. However, a hiss begins to develop and then the sound becomes pretty distorted (think 8-bit fuzzbox guitar tone) and reduces in volume.

If I switch to stereo mode, the distortion is gone, but the volume seems to be slightly lessened and there is a slight hiss.

I’m guessing it’s time for a new board? :|

Edit: nope, just time for a new battery. Strange that the indicator wasn’t on, however.