Truss spoke wheel on P-38 broke off

PM10s, PM20s, PDFs, and all other P Series guitars and basses
Ericstereo

Post by Ericstereo »

Looking for help to see the size of the truss rod for a Parker P38 guitar. The truss wheel broke off. Where would I find one??
Attachments
Screenshot_20230908_190417_Samsung capture.jpg
20230907_132828.jpg
20230908_214437.jpg
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Being as I don't know the specs offhand, I'll apologize for these preliminary questions:

Just to be clear about what we're seeing here, @Ericstereo: Is part of the hex cylinder which connected the spoke wheel to the truss rod itself stuck inside where the rod nut would be? From the photo angle, it looks like a common one piece system in which the rod was constructed with the spoke wheel welded to the nut end of it. But in the event that it's not, it may be easier to repair.

Below is a drawing of the components we seem to be looking at (in the case of the P-38, it appears to have been one big assembly).
truss drawing.jpeg
(drawing credited to tzohn on the TalkBass forums)

Does the rod slide or rattle within the neck at all, or is it stuck in its installed position?

If you could find someone willing to weld the wheel back on, that might end up being the only repair needed. From a luthier perspective, however, I'd personally remove and replace the fretboard after replacing the entire truss rod (assuming it doesn't slide/pull out).

#TrussIssues
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Ericstereo

Re: Truss spoke wheel on P-38 broke off

Post by Ericstereo »

Thanks for your replay @mmmguitar ! I appreciate your advice and help!

Looking at the guitar it is snapped (broken ) at the hex socket key , right on the base of the truss . The truss rod is in the installed position with no way to get it out. Unless I get the truss repair kit from stewmac but unknown if it'll be repairable. If you need more pics I can send them over. I took it to 2 guitar repair shops but they won't do it for the type of guitar.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Ericstereo wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:01 pm I took it to 2 guitar repair shops but they won't do it for the type of guitar.
As discouraging as that can be to hear, any tech unwilling to repair what's essentially a NiteFly-shaped strat isn't worth anyone's business. If we're talking about the same StewMac tool(s) (basically a small diameter boring cutter to get at a truss nut, a set of washers to replace the wood that was cut out, and a rethreading die), that wouldn't necessarily help in this case; because the truss nut itself is likely fine - It's the spoke wheel cylinder that was welded to the nut that's broken off and needs to be either reattached, or the entire truss rod replaced.

Just to start simply: Have you considered using something like JB weld metal epoxy to reattach the spoke wheel cylinder pieces at the break point? I don't know whether the cylinder broke under torque due to the nut or rod itself having seized - but I'd think a truss spoke wheel working as it should could be turned with less torque than would break the epoxy bond.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
chrisandrews

Post by chrisandrews »

These truss rod adjusters are wound on to a threaded end of the truss rod, not pushed on a hex piece. You may be able to drill two small holes on either side of the broken part and use some small grub screw drivers to turn it off the thread or use a small flat head screw driver to knock it round
chrisandrews

Post by chrisandrews »

Any luck removing broken thread? Would be interested to know if imperial or metric as I have a couple of the adjusters from a Nitefly which looks exact
Ericstereo wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:39 am Looking for help to see the size of the truss rod for a Parker P38 guitar. The truss wheel broke off. Where would I find one??