Yet another recently addicted to Parker guitars...(Greetings from Greece!!!)

Show and tell! This is a place to showcase your Parker guitar! New members are encouraged to introduce themselves here.
Jupiter

Yet another recently addicted to Parker guitars...(Greetings from Greece!!!)

Post by Jupiter »

New member here, I've been lurking for a few months now, when I became addicted to the Flys.

I bought my first Parker, a very beaten '95 Fly Deluxe, a month ago or so, and now it's my #1 guitar.
1.jpg

I have a bad back so weighing just 2.3Kg means the world to me.

A few frets got partially detached but my luthier took care of them. He also set it up the way I wanted, so Standard D tuning with 10-38's. The 9's gauge spring did the trick. I've never owned or even played another guitar with such a low action. I am VERY picky when it comes to neck dimensions (all my guitars have heavilly modded necks, I like them thin) and I loved it the moment I wrapped my left hand around the neck.

Now, I am looking to buy another one for backup.

Great place for Parker-heads!
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Re: Yet another recently addicted to Parker guitars...

Post by mmmguitar »

Welcome, @Jupiter. If you prefer the necks thin, just be aware that NiteFlys and later USM-era Flys produced after 2008 or so tend to be chunkier. I'd rather have a beater Fly than a pristine one I'm afraid to scuff - So congrats on getting the worst of it out of the way upfront. Please let us know how your search for Fly #2 goes.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Thank you @mmmguitar!

No worries, I've "played" with a very late Nitefly back in 2019 (it was the very last one from our once-upon-a-time local Parker dealer) and I insantly passed. And I quoted "played" because the moment I wrapped my left hand around the neck, I just gave it back, so I never actually played it.

Also, one of my gear-head friends owns two refined Mojos (he is responsible for my addiction!), 2007 and 2006 (Cherry Burst and Quilted) and while the neck was just a bit fatter, I loved it too (played with the Cherry Burst). What I didn't love was the fact that it was about 2.8Kg but hey, those are mahogany-mahogany right? So, it makes sense. Still one whole kilo ligher than any of my other guitars.

What I loved though was the fact that the middle position of mag switch use both humbuckers in full humbucker mode instead of one coil of each. While I've spent more than 25 years playing strictly with low output SSS strats, I just can't stand the single coil sounds anymore, especially the 2 and 4 positions that the pre-refined Flys try to mimic with the mid position.

I am OK with "beaters", I only care about the practical stuff, playability, sound etc, so you can say I am not very picky. Still, that means that the neck has to be in great condition (no chips on the back, no chips on the sides unless I can't feel them), no suspicious cracks etc.

The search for #2 doesn't go very well 'cause the prices are crazy and for guitars that I wouldn't buy even at half the price. Also, since I live in the EU, it's a big no-no to buy anything from outside the EU (say, US, UK etc), cause the customs alone will tear me a big new one, so I'll either find something decent within the EU or I'll stick with my Fly, hoping it will continue being functional, lol. I can't find any Flys locally, unfortunately.

I've ordered several feet of fretwire (actually two different types) and that thingy for hanging those guitars on the wall. Both are coming from the US, oh boy, they will have a big party down at the Customs, lol...

Anyway, this community has already tought me so much about Parkers, thank you guys and gals!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Great to have you here, @Jupiter!
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Great to be here @vjmanzo, I've read quite a lot of your (and @mmmguitar's) posts and threads and I've learned a lot, way before I pulled the trigger.

There is so much info here, it's not even funny!
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

And I just received 20 feet of fretwire (10 feet of each type, I think one is 0.045" and the other 0.050" height), so I have fretwire to refret 4 Parker guitars, lol.

The problem is that around here, nobody has the knowhow to refret a Parker with confidence, lol. My luthier (probably the best around here, he has heavily modded all my other guitars, re-radius, refret with stainless steel frets,neck re-profile etc) was very clear to me. We are not going to do it unless we have to (which means, only if the guitar is unusable and there isn't anything else to do) because we are into uncharted teritory.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Replacement Fretwire

Post by vjmanzo »

Nice! Hopefully you never need that fretwire. 🙂 FWIW, I have some of that fretwire from Mike G. as well and it’s larger than the wire used on the original Fly; as noted on the history thread, USM eventually began using the same jumbo fretwire on the Fly as the NiteFly.
Jupiter wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:01 am nobody has the knowhow to refret a Parker with confidence, lol
I hear you! Refretting a Fly/NiteFly from that fretwire would be a very challenging project. Even cutting a single small piece of wire from that spool you have would be difficult because of how tough that fret material is. At the factory, the frets were affixed to the fingerboard oversized and then cut by a diamond blade once the fingerboard was applied to the neck; the blade cut all of the frets right along the neck.

#FretIssues
Jupiter

Re: Replacement Fretwire

Post by Jupiter »

vjmanzo wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:13 am Nice! Hopefully you never need that fretwire. 🙂 FWIW, I have some of that fretwire from Mike G. as well and it’s larger than the wire used on the original Fly; as noted on the history thread, USM eventually began using the same jumbo fretwire on the Fly as the NiteFly.
If it were up to me, I would refret it right now, as it seems it's been though so many levelings, the frets feel to me like Fender's vintage, lol (on the other hand I was kinda used to the 6100's). On the other hand, if I am being honest, I don't have experience with pre-refined Parker guitars, so maybe they had installed that small frets in the first place (I doubt it though, the difference with my friend's 2007 refined is night and day).

(naaaah, it's not that bad, I love playing it)
vjmanzo wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:13 am I hear you! Refretting a Fly/NiteFly from that fretwire would be a very challenging project. Even cutting a single small piece of wire from that spool you have would be difficult because of how tough that fret material is. At the factory, the frets were affixed to the fingerboard oversized and then cut by a diamond blade once the fingerboard was applied to the neck; the blade cut all of the frets right along the neck.
Trust me, that guy has been refretting guitars with stainless steel frets since forever (heck, he's done it 4 times for me alone, lol) so he does have the knowledge and the tools to work with stainless steel frets (say, Jescar SS).

His big issue is whether he will be το place/glue them at the correct spots with accuracy . And we are talking about a real luthier who happens to build guitars and basses literally from scratch (from a few blocks of wood) since forever.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Jupiter wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:36 am maybe they had installed that small frets in the first place (I doubt it though, the difference with my friend's 2007 refined is night and day).
Yes, this is what I’m referring to by referencing the history post: the original Flys had much smaller frets. The NiteFly had jumbo fretwire. Eventually, USM began using jumbo fretwire on the Flys, which may be why your friend’s Fly seems much different than yours.

It’s possible that your Flys frets are not leveled—just smaller.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

vjmanzo wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:40 am Yes, this is what I’m referring to by referencing the history post: the original Flys had much smaller frets. The NiteFly had jumbo fretwire. Eventually, USM began using jumbo fretwire on the Flys, which may be why your friend’s Fly seems much different than yours.

It’s possible that your Flys frets are not leveled—just smaller.
Thank you, I read the history thread a couple months ago, the problem (actually, my problem) is that I don't know how small is "small" as I can't find any fret width and height measurements for the pre-refined Parker guitars. And of course I have no reference point since my refined is the only refined I've ever played with (lol).

You could be right but there is no way I can confirm it. If at least we knew more or less the dimensions of the frets back then (6105 tall and thin? Certainly not 6100, they aren't Fender "vintage" either, Parker's are wider than the vintage from what I remember etc, maybe Ken went Gibson style?)

Still, you could be right vjmanzo...

The the frets of the bloody NiteFly I got in my hands seemed like a bit taller 6105's but not as wide as 6100's. I know I didn't like them (just like I never liked the 6105's on my guitars that's why I refretted them with 6100's in the end), sliding my fingers across the fretboard wasn't as "fluid" as I wanted.

On the contrary, I love those small frets BUT, from my experience, the taller the frets,the more effortless the bends are, that's why usually I prefer and have installed 6100's on my guitars (always SS, yeah, yeah, I am a spoiled brat, I know, lol!).

Not a dealbreaker though, I love my Parker, it has become my #1 guitar, the last time a "new" guitar became my #1 was back in 2007.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Hey @Jupiter!
I definitely preferred jumbo frets for the same reason you mentioned, but the Parker frets cured me of that.
1. Because the frets are so hard, the bends are silky smooth.
2. Because the fingerboard is not coated with sticky finish, fingers don't grab to it.
My Flys are, respectively, 25 and 29 years old. Not a scratch on any fret, never had to be leveled, perfect. Bends go up until I could break the string without any glitch and super-smooth.
I also had a mojo with thicker fret wire. It was not an issue and also performed well. But the original Fly's smaller frets are - in my opinion, the best I've ever experienced.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Thanks @Patzag!

I am telling ya, I am loving my Parker even though it has such small frets.

Regarding #1, all my guitars have Jescar SS frets so I am not sure if Parker's are harder or the same, I don't feel the material is better or worse than the Jescar ones.

About #2, weeeeeell. again, all my guitars have maple necks with nitro finish, and since my hands get really sweaty in no time, they become super slippery, lol. My Parker's neck is definitely not sticky, but since the frets are significantly "shorter" (less tall) than my other guitar's, it's easier for my fingers to touch the actual fretboard.

Once again, I LOVE this guitar, none of these is a dealbreaker, it's my #1 and it will continue to be my #1 unless it's damaged beyond repair or I get another Parker.

In fact, so far, the ONLY thing I don't like it's the fact that in the middle position I can't use both humbuckers in full humbucker mode (one of the reasons I would love to get another real Parker but a refined this time). I just don't like anything single-coily, especially the 2 and 4 positions these try to "mimic" by using one coil of each humbucker. Which again, it's not a dealbreaker, the only thing I have to do is not to use the middle position but I would love to be able to use both humbuckers (all coils). In fact I am used to play with SSS strats with single coil size humbuckers (with humbucker voicing) in all positions and I find the 2 and 4 positions on those (full humbucker mode, the whole bridge and middle and the whole midle and neck pups, respectively) 100% useful.

But I digress, I am addicted to Parker guitars, there is no turning back... :)

PS: I have found the infamous ZAP – CA Glue Thin (pink bottles) locally (I didn't expect that), I am thinking of buying a few of these just in case, lol.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Jupiter wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:37 pm
In fact, so far, the ONLY thing I don't like it's the fact that in the middle position I can't use both humbuckers in full humbucker mode (one of the reasons I would love to get another real Parker but a refined this time). I just don't like anything single-coily, especially the 2 and 4 positions these try to "mimic" by using one coil of each humbucker. Which again, it's not a dealbreaker, the only thing I have to do is not to use the middle position but I would love to be able to use both humbuckers (all coils). In fact I am used to play with SSS strats with single coil size humbuckers (with humbucker voicing) in all positions and I find the 2 and 4 positions on those (full humbucker mode, the whole bridge and middle and the whole midle and neck pups, respectively) 100% useful.
Brother!

I modded my Flys by tying the coil-split wires and removing them from the 3-way switch. My middle position is now both HBs on. I much prefer that - and it's reversible.

Took 3 minutes!
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Patzag wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:11 pm Brother!

I modded my Flys by tying the coil-split wires and removing them from the 3-way switch. My middle position is not both HBs on. I much prefer that - and it's reversible.

Took 3 minutes!
My man!!!

Wait, is this a typo, you mean your middle position is both HBs on, right?

Thank you, but I have no guts whatsoever to mod my Parker (or any Parker, lol, while I've done it to death on every single other guitar I've owned since the early 90ies).

Would you believe me if I told you I haven't even removed the backplate yet?

I love this guitar so much, it has turned me into a giant chicken!

There, I said it! :)
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Yes; Pat meant "now." Just to piggypack onto his helpful post: The stock pickup selector switch in a Ken-era Fly is a 4PDT on/on/on; and desoldering the humbuckers' series connections (the joined white/black and red/green circled in the attached image) from the selector switch will prevent the switch from shorting them to ground in the middle position - Meaning the middle position will then be the full humbuckers in parallel. Just remember to put some electrical tape on the joined pairs of wires; so they don't touch anything in the cavity and short out.
Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 2.40.54 PM.png
Whether you drink up enough courage or attempt it or not, I thought I may as well illustrate what Pat was referring to. It was one of the first mods I performed on a Ken-era Fly (At the time, I relocated the series connection wires to a push/pull pot).
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Middle Position is Both Pickups On

Post by Patzag »

Jupiter wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:38 pm
My man!!!

Wait, is this a typo, you mean your middle position is both HBs on, right?

Thank you, but I have no guts whatsoever to mod my Parker (or any Parker, lol, while I've done it to death on every single other guitar I've owned since the early 90ies).

Would you believe me if I told you I haven't even removed the backplate yet?

I love this guitar so much, it has turned me into a giant chicken!

There, I said it! :)
Lol!

Yes, NOW typo. Really easy to do. Just unsolder the split wires from the switch and tie them together. The middle position then becomes both HBs full on.

If I recall correctly, they are the green/red and black/white leads that are already tied on the switch. Just unsolder and put a little electrical tape or electrical tubing around them to avoid a short.

3 minutes tops, including 2 minutes for removing the bloody 7 screws on the backplate!

#PickupPreferences #ElectronicsMods
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

mmmguitar wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:46 pm Yes; Pat meant "now." Just to piggypack onto his helpful post: The stock pickup selector switch in a Ken-era Fly is a 4PDT on/on/on; and desoldering the humbuckers' series connections (the joined white/black and red/green circled in the attached image) from the selector switch will prevent the switch from shorting them to ground in the middle position - Meaning the middle position will then be the full humbuckers in parallel.

Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 2.40.54 PM.png

Whether you drink up enough courage or attempt it or not, I thought I may as well illustrate what Pat was referring to. It was one of the first mods I performed to a Ken-era Fly (At the time, I relocated the series connection wires to a push/pull pot).
Ah! Thanks Marc. I was typing while you posted this!
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

@Patzag and @mmmguitar thank you so much guys!!!
mmmguitar wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:46 pm Whether you drink up enough courage or attempt it or not, I thought I may as well illustrate what Pat was referring to. It was one of the first mods I performed on a Ken-era Fly (At the time, I relocated the series connection wires to a push/pull pot).
Patzag wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:48 pm If I recall correctly, they are the green/red and black/white leads that are already tied on the switch. Just unsolder and put a little electrical tape or electrical tubing around them to avoid a short.

3 minutes tops, including 2 minutes for removing the bloody 7 screws on the backplate!
Gentlemen, I got no balls to do it myself BUT, my best friend (and fellow musician/guitar player) can solder anything in his sleep, lol...

I've already told him (and sent him the pic), he laughed his butt out and told me that it's a piece of cake...soooo, time to pay him a visit, :D

Yours truly,

The Mega-chicken
Jupiter

Re: Yet another recently addicted to Parker guitars...(Greetings from Greece!!!)

Post by Jupiter »

Oh boy, I am getting old, aren't I?

I forgot to mention, I live in Greece...not important but I should include it in the fist post (I already edited the thread title) so at least you know how much my butt hurts every time I order anything from outside the EU, lol.

Unfortunately, there aren't many Parker guitars (and Parker fans) around here, so it's one in a million to find a "real" Parker guitar to buy it locally.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Re: Yet another recently addicted to Parker guitars...(Greetings from Greece!!!)

Post by Patzag »

Jupiter wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 6:30 pm Oh boy, I am getting old, aren't I?

I forgot to mention, I live in Greece...not important but I should include it in the fist post (I already edited the thread title) so at least you know how much my butt hurts every time I order anything from outside the EU, lol.

Unfortunately, there aren't many Parker guitars (and Parker fans) around here, so it's one in a million to find a "real" Parker guitar to buy it locally.
And your name is Jupiter and not Zeus?