Fly partially detached fret(s) issue

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Fly partially detached fret(s) issue

Post by vjmanzo »

Jupiter wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:39 pm I thought the fretboard was totally flat!
The fretboard is a layer of fiberglass on top of a layer of carbon fiber on top of another layer of fiberglass. A laser was used to etch out a slot in the top layer of fiberglass, so that the underside of the fret is epoxied onto the layer of carbon fiber. There's a reference figure on the parts page.
nuovonormale

Post by nuovonormale »

Hi all,
just a "final" update on this.. I've solved my issue for the moment by setting a *slightly* higher action (via bridge screws) than the one I had right after the "fix job" (I had removed the bridge to avoid throwing the still new strings :))

One day I'll try the complete removal and re-install thing, especially if other frets start having lifting issues.

thanks everyone for your kind support!

Andrea
Patzag wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:31 am
nuovonormale wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:53 am @Patzag, @billy : thank you both!
I think after this "half failure" I've gained a bit of confidence. I'll let it rest for a while and (when I gather the courage :D) eventually do as you suggest.
cheers
Andrea
Good for you! It's not half as hard as it's made to look. Let us know how you made out!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Congrats, Andrea! Nice compromise! You’re right that this is a big job, which you can always pursue down the line if you’d like. Glad you’ve found some resolve with this! 👌
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Jupiter wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:05 pm
nuovonormale wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:52 am Did any of you ever experience this "partial detach" issue (as opposed to a "full" fret falling out issue)?
If so, do you think the only way is to completely remove those frets and re-glue them? Or there might be some other, lighter way to fix it?
Happened to me a week after I bought my '95 Fly Deluxe (recently), 2nd hand (or probably 34th hand).

Initially, I thought it was just the first fret but it turned out there where a few more but not as bad as the first fret.

343322554_615881487129812_1117798430094588788_n.jpg
343281921_597405152334208_1275985915978714185_n.jpg
343540672_636490491826991_2923924837687161731_n.jpg

I left it to my luthier, he just reglued the problematic frets without completelly removing them.

Knock on wood, I've spent a couple of hours playing with it, everything seems fine.

PS: I love that guitar, it became my #1 but honestly, I'll try to buy another one (preferably a refined Fly) for backup...
Great...the first fret started detaching again...oh boy, this can't be good...

I noticed it while playing, put on my glasses and verified it.
nuovonormale

Post by nuovonormale »

sorry to hear that :(
the partially detached one I glued back in august seems to be staying in place but.. in the meantime the first fret, which previous owner told me he had re-glued himself after it had fallen off, just popped out of the neck one day.. with no specific reason!
It's been two months.. and I have never had the courage to glue it back yet.
But as soon as I've a little time I'll give it a try since I now have glue, etc
If I fail.. I'll ship it to a parker-guru-luthier and I hope it'll be the end of the story!!

What will you do, Jupiter?
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Well @nuovonormale , I have already notified my luthier that one of the (how many were they back then, 3? 4?) problematic frets got partially detached again, so he will glue it back...again...

This one lasted 9 months, lol...the rest of seem OK...well. for now...
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Jupiter wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:16 pm Well @nuovonormale , I have already notified my luthier that one of the (how many were they back then, 3? 4?) problematic frets got partially detached again, so he will glue it back...again...

This one lasted 9 months, lol...the rest of seem OK...well. for now...
That’s not normal. Must’ve been using an Epoxy or some other incorrect glue.
My repair with Cyanoacrylate is still holding strong.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Patzag wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:04 pm That’s not normal. Must’ve been using an Epoxy or some other incorrect glue.
My repair with Cyanoacrylate is still holding strong.
I don't know Pat, the thing is that so far only one out of 3 or 4 in total got detached...the rest seem fine...well at least right now...

I provided him with all the needed information regarding this repair but I don't know what kind of glue he used.

But you have a point, so what I am going to do is, I'll ask him, if he didn't use that kind of glue, I'll buy a few of these
Screenshot 2024-03-01 094933.jpg
and take them with me the day of the appointment.

How long do these last once the bottle is open? Should I put them in the fridge like I do with the superglues?
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Jupiter wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:55 am Should I put them in the fridge like I do with the superglues?
Yes. As with all cyanoacrylate glues, minimizing its contact with air moisture by sealing the bottle and storing in the fridge in a sealed plastic bag should significantly extend its shelf life.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

ΟΚ, I checked with my luthier, he used cyanoacrylate glue indeed.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Good luck for the next pass.
It should last “forever”.