Parker Fly Deluxe vs Mojo

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
reverend-kansas

Parker Fly Deluxe vs Mojo

Post by reverend-kansas »

I've got a Fly Deluxe that I love, someone locally is selling a Fly Mojo, and for once, my guitar fund has some cash in it! I'm wondering, how different are the deluxe and the mojo? I'm aware of the Basswood/Poplar vs Mahogany/Mahogany differences and the Seymour Duncan vs. DiMarzio pickups being different, but tonally, what does that translate too? Also, what other differences could I expect to find?
Voice Of Reason
Forum Veteran

Re: Parker Fly Deluxe vs Mojo

Post by Voice Of Reason »

Here’s a few tidbits:

- Expect a heavier instrument with a thicker body/neck.

- Expect more low end on the Mojo (with the Seymour Duncans and the all-mahogany construction).

- Expect to find switches and several components that are failing (and/or of lesser quality). This is especially true if comparing a pre-refined Deluxe to a refined Mojo.
1998 Fly Classic
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

They’re two flavors. Some players find they prefer one to the other. If you can live with the price, let us know your impressions.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
reverend-kansas

The price is what has me wanting to try it out. It is a 90 minute drive to the guy's house, so I'm thinking hard before I go.
Voice Of Reason
Forum Veteran

reverend-kansas wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:26 pm The price is what has me wanting to try it out. It is a 90 minute drive to the guy's house, so I'm thinking hard before I go.
Make sure you thoroughly inspect the fretboard for any signs of delamination.

The year most avoid is 2008 (as it was plagued with various issues, most of which being a bad batch of glue).

Good luck.
1998 Fly Classic
reverend-kansas

What are the signs of delamination?
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

The fingerboard lifts up slightly. This results in "high frets" which are not really high. The whole fretboard is high. Look at the seam between the neck and the fretboard. It should be very clean with no sign of separation between the board and the neck.
reverend-kansas

Patzag wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:22 pm The fingerboard lifts up slightly. This results in "high frets" which are not really high. The whole fretboard is high. Look at the seam between the neck and the fretboard. It should be very clean with no sign of separation between the board and the neck.
OK, so it will be visible along the seam between the fretboard and neck. Thanks. This Mojo is a late '09 model.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

reverend-kansas wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:51 am
Patzag wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:22 pm The fingerboard lifts up slightly. This results in "high frets" which are not really high. The whole fretboard is high. Look at the seam between the neck and the fretboard. It should be very clean with no sign of separation between the board and the neck.
OK, so it will be visible along the seam between the fretboard and neck. Thanks. This Mojo is a late '09 model.
The year is basically irrelevant. The issue popped up on several models across years. I spoke to the Production Manager and this was due to extremely hot weather in summer months resulting in improper curing of the glue. I don't know much more...
Just inspect, make sure there's no lift of the board, and that there are no "high frets".
Voice Of Reason
Forum Veteran

..and beware of numerous paint chips along the fingerboard…and of high action…if the thing’s been converted to a pseudo slide guitar= red flags.

Why don’t you bring a fret rocker while you’re at it? :mrgreen:

Good luck.
1998 Fly Classic
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Voice Of Reason wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:06 pm Why don’t you bring a fret rocker while you’re at it? :mrgreen:
I think the only reasonable path forward is for all of us to show up as a unified entourage standing behind @reverend-kansas. 💪😎
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

vjmanzo wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:48 pm
Voice Of Reason wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:06 pm Why don’t you bring a fret rocker while you’re at it? :mrgreen:
I think the only reasonable path forward is for all of us to show up as a unified entourage standing behind @reverend-kansas. 💪😎
:lol: :lol: :lol:
reverend-kansas

I can't buy you all plane tickets, but I will go to Tim Horton's and buy some Timbits and coffee for everyone who shows up.
Voice Of Reason
Forum Veteran

reverend-kansas wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:49 pm
I can't buy you all plane tickets, but I will go to Tim Horton's and buy some Timbits and coffee for everyone who shows up.
Glad to see Tim Hortons is catching up in the States.

Now if only they could revert to being as good as they were (back home) before the sale…

I’m told I can be quite intimidating, so I’d have to be the doorman. After all, I’d be paid in Timbits! 8-)
1998 Fly Classic
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Timmie's menu ...
Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 17.19.13.png
Voice Of Reason
Forum Veteran

Patzag wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:20 pm Timmie's menu ...

Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 17.19.13.png
America runs on Dunkin…so it has to be so much better! :?
Attachments
IMG_1287.jpeg
1998 Fly Classic
Gregsaab

Post by Gregsaab »

My ‘11 had the fretboard delamination issue, but I had it repaired at iGuitar Workshop (@vjmanzo recommendation) for an extremely reasonable amount.

Like others said, the Mojo’s tone is definitely deeper/darker than the Deluxe. In my opinion, the build quality of the pre-refined is better and they feel more special, but YMMV!
1998 Deluxe in Dusty Black
1999 Deluxe in Emerald Green
2011 Mojo in Transparent Red [sold]
Gregsaab

Post by Gregsaab »

One aspect that I think is better on the refined is the tremolo arm and insert. Both of my Deluxes have a slight bit of play betwixt the arm and the hex insert — and I think the rounded arm has a more refined look and feel ;)
1998 Deluxe in Dusty Black
1999 Deluxe in Emerald Green
2011 Mojo in Transparent Red [sold]
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Gregsaab wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:25 pm One aspect that I think is better on the refined is the tremolo arm and insert.
I actually replaced the rounded bushing arm on my refined with a spare hex bushing because of how much I prefer the hex bushing/arm. 😀
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

vjmanzo wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:46 pm I actually replaced the rounded bushing arm on my refined with a spare hex bushing because of how much I prefer the hex bushing/arm. 😀
I have a spare hex bushing; and intend to do this - but I first need to fabricate a few hex bars.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory