Nitefly vs Dragon/Maxxfly? Please Help Me Decide.

General musical discussions that don't fall under other categories.
JoshPsyken

Nitefly vs Dragon/Maxxfly? Please Help Me Decide.

Post by JoshPsyken »

Hi, I'm curious about purchasing a parker and i have two specific models in mind.
1 is a parker nitefly from around 1998 according to the seller which is 1.2k.
the other is a parker maxxfly from guitar center's website (a DF524), going used for around 2k (there's also a fly deluxe for 2.4)
even the nitefly is significantly out of my budget though, so I'm going to need a payment plan on either of them.
Does the maxxfly have an exoskeleton? I just want tuning stability and a new main guitar. Does the Nitefly have any advantages or disadvantages? (aside from the shape being different) I want to know as much as possible before i make a purchase.
The Maxxfly does come from the "refined" era but i don't know how much that changes things.
I've only played a parker pm20 as my frame of reference. I don't really know what to expect, but i've heard many good things!
uh.. please help

-Josh
jester700

Re: Nitefly vs Dragon/Maxxfly? Please Help Me Decide.

Post by jester700 »

The basics: The Nitefly has an exoskeleton-wrapped neck (though generally a little thicker than the Fly Deluxe neck) bolted to a conventional body. The body's kinda fly shaped, but without all the contours that make the fly so light and ergonomic.

The DF524 (also the DF624 and DF724) is a conventional guitar - maple neck (very thin), ebony fretboard, steel frets, bolted to an alder body. It is a very light, comfortable, ergonomic guitar - but it doesn't have many of the features that Parker is known for. Still, I have a couple and they're my favorite guitars ever. But IMO they're not worth $2k used. The only Maxxfly that has the exoskeleton (and the flat spring in the trem) is the DF824.

The Fly deluxe is the whole package.

These prices all seem high to me, but I haven't followed prices the last couple of years, so I may be off base.
JoshPsyken

Post by JoshPsyken »

" These prices all seem high to me, but I haven't followed prices the last couple of years, so I may be off base."
Yeahhhh. glad you told me though. seems like the nitefly would be my ideal guitar if i can get used to the shape.
JoshPsyken

Post by JoshPsyken »

The Hex Wrench DIY Whammy will work on a nitefly, right?
I might buy one that comes without it, i just want to be prepared.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @JoshPsyken—welcome! No, the vibrato bar for a NiteFly is round; only the original Fly has a hex bar. Fortunately, the round bars are easier to find.

I’d like to recommend that you read the first four or five catalogs and the history of the NiteFly document to better understand what you’re getting into. We also have an FAQ page that you may find helpful.