Strings - I tried NYXL and was disappointed

General musical discussions that don't fall under other categories.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Strings - I tried NYXL and was disappointed

Post by Patzag »

Title says it all.

I normally used D'Addario XL strings. I used 095 because they are basically perfect for me. Great balance of tension and resistance.

I decided to try the "better" version. Same tension, NYXL, touted to be better, sound bette, last longer, bla-bla.

I put them on my guitars and they were perfect the first day. Snappy and tight. But soon I discovered that the high end zing and shimmer of the XL was gone. Almost like comparing steel to plastic.
Definitely a let down in terms of tone.

I can still play - of course - and no one's the wiser, but I FEEL it.

Conversely, if I play finger-style (a la Jeff Beck - though I can't claim to sound anything like him) they sound great.

Anyone here experience anything similar?
Voice Of Reason
Forum Veteran

Re: Strings - I tried NYXL and was disappointed

Post by Voice Of Reason »

Disclaimer: I am not one of those with legendary corrosive and abundant sweat that eats through strings. :lol:

I took the plunge on the NYXL (for my Fly Classic). The break in period was minutes and the tuning stability (even with heavy use of the trem) has been an improvement so far (i.e. roughly 3 weeks in).

I usually am not fond of regular XLs as they take longer (i.e. days) to break in (i.e. tuning instability, metallic ringing, etc.) and, above all, they are feel noticeably tenser, especially on bends (i.e. I have been an Ernie Ball user foremost). I do have XLs occasionally on guitars I don’t play as much as they do last longer than many other brands (once they break in).

As for the brightness…yes, they do seem to not be quite as bright as XL (a tad). It hasn’t been a dealbreaker on my end due to all the aforementioned positives (plus the Fly sounds already bright enough IMO). I may revise my opinion in a few months though.

There are so many options out there, especially with the newer alloys…what about Paradigms or XL ProSteels?
1998 Fly Classic
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

I'm addicted to the 095 gauge!
Voice Of Reason
Forum Veteran

Patzag wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:38 pm I'm addicted to the 095 gauge!
You mean EXL120+ aka 9.5 to 44?
1998 Fly Classic
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Yes ...
Voice Of Reason
Forum Veteran

Well, those in-between gauges sure pose limitations.

However, if you really feel like trying something else, you could always put together a custom set using single strings (e.g. Strings by mail). The Cobalts are supposedly very bright (and the wound strings are available in your preferred gauge). Then, its a matter of determining which plain strings to use.

It’s always easier to stick with what you know best, but if you seek more…
1998 Fly Classic
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

I'm going to stick with these NYXL for a short while. Possibly alter some of my presets to regain what I feel I miss and see where it goes.
I was mostly wondering what others might've experienced.
Last night's gig was fantastic and I didn't feel like I was missing anything - so it might also be the adaptation phase?
To be continued ...

(Thanks for the insight)
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

The first time I tried a set of NYXLs, I disliked the added gain and bit of clang that the strings seemed to impart into my presets. I’d decided beforehand that a proper test would include tweaking presets, noting any difference in tuning stability or timbral degradation over subsequent days, then seeing if I felt anything was missing following the next string change, for which I returned to a “normal” set.

I found that I had grown fond of the NYXLs in the meantime; and have continued to use them regularly. I still buy/try other strings that happen to be marked down below NYXL prices when I’m stocking up (which is how I ended up with the more recent XS coated strings that, so far, I have no complaint with).
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Good data.

Amazing how much difference a string makes. ... (there's a song in there somewhere!...)
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

I'm going to continue this thread because this is where my search started, but it took a turn recently:

I got a couple of packs of Stringjoy strings. .095-46. And oh my! Surprised! They sound awesome, feel great and I fell in love.
Perfectly matched to the Parker Fly in my opinion.

Can't recommend enough!
Voice Of Reason
Forum Veteran

Patzag wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:58 am I got a couple of packs of Stringjoy strings. .095-46.
Can't recommend enough!
I was considering a 6-pack of custom gauge for my seven string. They are not so cheap, especially internationally.

Are they as stiff as regular XLs or more bendy like NYXLs or Ernie Balls :lol: ?
1998 Fly Classic
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

They feel a tad stiffer, and they have that "piano string" kind of bell-like tone. Love them.
Definitely not on the cheap side. I'm still on my first set, so I will decide, when they "expire" if they last long enough to be financially viable to use.
I hope so.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

For the record - one month in with my first set of Stringjoy!
About the change them now. They lasted a very long time while retaining their essential tone. Very impressed.
Voice Of Reason
Forum Veteran

Patzag wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:02 am For the record - one month in with my first set of Stringjoy!
About the change them now. They lasted a very long time while retaining their essential tone. Very impressed.
Thanks for the heads up. There used to be free shipping to Canada from several US string vendors. If Stringjoy were to do this, then I’d give them a try.

N.b. It’s still a love fest with NYXLs here but I do need a custom gauge set for my single 7-stringer.
1998 Fly Classic
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Try Sweetwater ...
Mike987

Post by Mike987 »

I know it’s an older post, but I use curt mangan strings. I had some custom sets made. Personally I like 10, 13, 20, 30, 40, 50 with the G being wound. But you can design whatever setup you choose. He also makes acoustic guitar and bass strings as well. I’ve stuck with those ever since the first order from him.
2x p30, 2x p32, 2x p36, 2x p38, 6x p40, 2x p42, 3x p44, 2x nitefly, fly mojo, fly bronze, 2x hornet bass