Late Introduction

Show and tell! This is a place to showcase your Parker guitar! New members are encouraged to introduce themselves here.
Voice Of Reason
Forum Veteran

Late Introduction

Post by Voice Of Reason »

Greetings,

While I have been around these forums for a while, I failed to introduce myself. I was previously on the old forums since 2007 (under the same name), most active from 2007 through 2012.

What got me into Flys was my fascination with their ergonomics and features. I had never seen such a guitar at the time (I came across a picture on a forum post like The Gear Page). The neck joint, for instance, fascinated me. Then, I found a store that carried them! An emerald Fly Mojo flame was my initiation: I was hooked. Soon after, I pulled the trigger on a 1998 Fly Classic. 8-)

My Fly had some issues that have finally been resolved, renewing my appreciation for this instrument. It is very clear that much thought went into designing and implementing all aspects of this guitar.

Since then, worsening neck issues have been preventing me from playing many instruments (= Goodbye Les Paul!). Rather than quitting outright, I have instead been relying more on my Fly Classic over the years. It is a pleasure to play and enables me to do so much longer than with any other guitar I own (i.e. The weight is so well distributed). In fact, it has become the only electric guitar I can play standing up without flaring up (in moderation, that is). With other guitars, I feel like I’m fighting both the instrument and gravity.

I’ve stuck with my Fly and it has stuck by me for the past 15+ years. Thanks to Ken and the forum members I have learned from over the years.
p.s. My neck and shoulders would also like to express their appreciation. :)
C8EA2B85-D2C7-44A4-B9DB-5026CADBD51B.jpg
1998 Fly Classic
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Re: Late Introduction

Post by Patzag »

Nice to officially meet you.
As a note, I once had a marketing idea for Parker that I never had the chance to propose:

Imagine three guitar players seen in XRay standing next to each other. The two on the outside obviously have Gibson and Fender guitars, the middle guy carries a Fly.
Both Gibson and Fender holders have pronounced scoliosis.

The middle guy's spine is perfect ... the slogan: Straighten up and Fly right!
Voice Of Reason
Forum Veteran

Patzag wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:18 pm As a note, I once had a marketing idea for Parker that I never had the chance to propose:

Imagine three guitar players seen in XRay standing next to each other. The two on the outside obviously have Gibson and Fender guitars, the middle guy carries a Fly.
Both Gibson and Fender holders have pronounced scoliosis.

The middle guy's spine is perfect ... the slogan: Straighten up and Fly right!
I approve!

As for other ergonomic differences:
I never could hold a Les Paul comfortably on my lap (they keep falling backwards); oddly enough Strats keep sliding off from under.
“Falling over, bottoms up for a Fly? That’s what she said.”

“A Fly a day keeps scoliosis away.”

Ray Dietrich, the designer of the Gibson Firebird, should have been tried for crimes against humanity.
1998 Fly Classic
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Voice Of Reason wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:00 pm the designer of the Gibson Firebird, should have been tried for crimes against humanity.
🤣🤣🤣 yes!! That is one seriously heavy axe!

Thanks, @Voice Of Reason! We’re lucky to have you here! 🥳
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

I got through my Les Paul phase when I was still a teenager: I distinctly remember the concern I felt after taking the guitar off and noticing that my left shoulder appeared to slump lower than my right when I stood in front of a mirror. These days, the only guitars I play that are heavier than 8 lbs are basses.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Voice Of Reason
Forum Veteran

mmmguitar wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:48 am I got through my Les Paul phase when I was still a teenager: I distinctly remember the concern I felt after taking the guitar off and noticing that my left shoulder appeared to slump lower than my right when I stood in front of a mirror. These days, the only guitars I play that are heavier than 8 lbs are basses.
I read over Ken’s old Tonequest interview yesterday: “…one of the things that bothered me about electric guitars was that they wouldn’t sit peacefully on your lap. I couldn’t figure out why people thought that was OK. Your triple O isn’t trying to commit suicide… it sits on your lap quite nicely, while the Strat wants to fall one way and the Les Paul wants to fall another. I didn’t get it, so that was one of the first design goals…”

I went through my Les Paul phase as well. Guess it’s a lesson many go through.

The more I learn about Gibson (in particular), the more puzzled I am. Delicate boat anchors club.

I digress…I’m glad there are builders like Ken who offered us options.

On a similar topic, how’s the weight distribution, in comparison, with Strandbergs?
1998 Fly Classic
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Voice Of Reason wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:25 pm How’s the weight distribution, in comparison, with Strandbergs?

The short answer is that nothing beats a Fly for weight distribution.

The Fly (when built to Ken's specs) balances *perfectly*. For my Flys with extra stuff under the hood (sustainer, Hexpander boards, etc.), I'm made aware of that extra weight in the body any time I'm putting the guitar on or taking it off. I can only describe the sensation as the feeling of having unbalanced a precision instrument (akin to picking up an old HDD while it's still spinning).

Of the four Strandbergs I've owned, I find they aren't built within anywhere near the same tolerances/degree of scrutiny (not that I'd expect them to be): No matter which factory is building them, it seems they're still just a couple of garden variety neck and body blanks, selected and paired according to recommended weight tolerances.

And I've found they can be neck or body-heavy, depending on body chambering or number of strings (my friend's solidbody Boden Classic 7 is a good two pounds heavier in the body than my bolt-on Fusion, with my neck-thru Fusion landing between the two in heft). I have no real complaints to do with the weight distribution of the Strandbergs I've owned - But they simply can't compete with a Fly's sleekness. A Fly feels like something you could smite an enchanted beast with.

Though my Boden Original from 2017 is the lightest guitar I've owned (around 4.8 lbs), my '96 Deluxe (which the aforementioned mods brought up to 5.2 lbs) feels lighter when worn on the strap, due to the overall design distributing the weight better. Even though the last few guitars I've bought have been top-shelf superstrats with impeccable QC, I have to say that picking one up after a few minutes with a Fly makes them feel like clunky garbage. I don't count this against them - My point is just that the Fly has a way of spoiling the fun of trying out new guitars (How's dialing in that PRS Hollowbody going, @Patzag?).
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

mmmguitar wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:51 am (How's dialing in that PRS Hollowbody going, @Patzag?).
On the auction block! As it was foretold on that fateful July 1993 day when I first lay my eyes on a Fly Deluxe:
"And ye shall no longer be able to enjoy the playing of another guitar!"
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Patzag wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:42 am "And ye shall no longer be able to enjoy the playing of another guitar!"
🤣🤣🤣
BMA_USA

Post by BMA_USA »

I eventually got to the point where I won't buy a guitar that weighs over 6 lbs barring some remarkable circumstances.
Voice Of Reason
Forum Veteran

BMA_USA wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:05 pm I eventually got to the point where I won't buy a guitar that weighs over 6 lbs barring some remarkable circumstances.
My cutoff was 7lbs for many years. Now, if I buy another, the lighter, the better (e.g. Perhaps a Fly deluxe).

It’s not worth all the pain.
1998 Fly Classic