what are the worst and best years of manufacture

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
oktav

what are the worst and best years of manufacture

Post by oktav »

I recently learned that the 2007-2011 frets take off in the fly.
I imagine these are the worst years to buy one ?
is this also the case with the nitefly ?
Voice Of Reason
Forum Veteran

Re: what are the worst and best years of manufacture

Post by Voice Of Reason »

There was a bad batch of glue around 2008 (at USM).

The Ken Parker years were up to 2003. I read that guitars were still made by the original team at the original factory until June 2004.
More on this in this post: viewtopic.php?t=3

I have a 1998 Fly Classic. It’s been very reliable. I consistently heard the same of the Ken Parker era Nitefly.

If you can’t inspect a guitar in person, I’d put more confidence in a Ken era model (or even up to June 2004). This does not preclude doing your homework with any previous owner/listing.

That being said, there are several that are satisfied with the USM instruments. 2008 (or so) seems to be the year to avoid.
1998 Fly Classic
Neongreenman

Post by Neongreenman »

oktav wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:39 pm I recently learned that the 2007-2011 frets take off in the fly.
I imagine these are the worst years to buy one ?
is this also the case with the nitefly ?
personally i dont feel any US Music are consistent or reliable and within a few years of taking over, they downgraded many of the components of the guitars.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

I hear you, @Neongreenman. I have had USM-era Flys of varying quality: some great, some not so great. You’re right though that the controls are unreliable. 🫤
Voice Of Reason wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:28 pm 2008 (or so) seems to be the year to avoid.
In terms of quality control, yeah, 2008 is a big ol’ question mark for Flys—especially regarding frets 😬
Voice Of Reason
Forum Veteran

The pre-refined has features I could not do without. For instance the piezo tone control and especially the step stop switch.

However, the refined models have a greater variety of finishes and usually thicker necks (for instance).

If I had only followed my eyes, I would have picked up a 2007 emerald Fly Mojo flame. In retrospect, with all the issues having surfaced since then, I’m rather relieved I didn’t.

In the end, unless you find a fair price on a refined model (that you can inspect before purchase), I would err on the side of caution and seek a pre-refined model.
1998 Fly Classic
Gregsaab

Post by Gregsaab »

My ‘11 Mojo’s fretboard did delaminate from the neck, but the repair cost was quite reasonable (~$250 sans shipping). Had it repaired by Patrick @ iGuitar Workshop - an excellent guy.
1998 Deluxe in Dusty Black
1999 Deluxe in Emerald Green
2011 Mojo in Transparent Red [sold]
Voice Of Reason
Forum Veteran

Gregsaab wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:06 pm My ‘11 Mojo’s fretboard did delaminate from the neck, but the repair cost was quite reasonable (~$250 sans shipping). Had it repaired by Patrick @ iGuitar Workshop - an excellent guy.
No issues since the repair?

Part of the problem is finding someone competent to tackle the issue.
1998 Fly Classic
Gregsaab

Post by Gregsaab »

No, everything is good with the fretboard so far. Patrick has had a lot of experience with Parker guitars (and Parker himself). He came recommended by VJ. I’ll write a full review on my experience soon.
1998 Deluxe in Dusty Black
1999 Deluxe in Emerald Green
2011 Mojo in Transparent Red [sold]