Fly piezo output

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
Ondoid

Fly piezo output

Post by Ondoid »

I have a refined fly (mojo) I just purchased and compared to my p38, the piezo sounds a little “weak.” I did read in one of the manuals that the piezo can be adjusted with the backplate removed. I’m not getting lack of sound or anything. Just lack of gain. Sounds great but my p38 just has a fuller sound to it. Before I attempt to adjust, I figure I’d ask if there is a high chance I could screw something up? I know my way around alright I suppose. I’ve just never had to do this with any of my other Parkers so I figure I’d ask. In my opinion, I’d bet money that adjusting this is the issue. New battery in it. All strings get sound. Just not as crisp as my p38. Thanks for any input! -Chris
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Re: Fly piezo output

Post by mmmguitar »

@Ondoid, the main thing to watch out for is that the refined Fly backplate is connected to the Fishman Powerchip pot you’re adjusting via the battery wires - So after you remove the screws holding the backplate to the guitar, you have to carefully set the backplate aside and make sure the solder points at the ends of the connecting wires aren’t strained; because they’ll break off and need to be resoldered. I would have really preferred USM spend the extra nickel to splice in quick-connect plugs near the 9 volt case.

Google brought up this PDF you can use to double check the trim pot you’re adjusting (pages 5 and 7). Note that there are different iterations of the Powerchip board which are different sizes, but adjust with the same volume trimpot and phase dial.

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... _Guide.pdf
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory