Aristides

General musical discussions that don't fall under other categories.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Aristides

Post by Patzag »

In my frustration for finding an affordable Artist, I posed a question on the Fractal forum regarding alternatives to Parker Flys, asking those who are not familiar with the Fly to abstain from proposing their favorite plank of wood as candidates.
A very competent builder and luthier replied. He had 3 Flys and regularly mentions them as reference guitars.
He suggested an Aristides 060.
Not quite as light but as playable and easier to customize the electronics.
Has anyone tried this instrument?
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Re: Aristides

Post by Patzag »

Thread 'Does anything play like a Parker today?'
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ ... st-2320076
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Patzag wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:22 pm Thread 'Does anything play like a Parker today?'
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ ... st-2320076
I fear anything I could think to say will end up being a retread of this discussion or Musikron’s (which both seem to be referenced in the Fractal thread). My impression of the Aristides H series remains that it essentially attempts to combine what people like about two different build philosophies (Parker Fly and Strandberg Boden), but ultimately falls short of replacing either.

Concerning the 060: I tried buying one that popped up for the right price, but the seller ended up flaking. Supposedly, what it boils down to being is a straight scale version of the H series with a headstock and larger body. And I just don’t see that feeling any more like a Fly than the headless version does/doesn’t.

Another potential dealbreaker is that Aristides fingerboard edges are largely square, and only started being somewhat rounded/rolled in 2020 after sufficient volume of complaints. So my first impression of the Aristides neck (a ‘22 ordered in ‘21) was “What’s with the blocky fingerboard edge and thin neck?”, rather than “Hey! This feels like one of the six Flys I’ve owned over the years.” Again: not uncomfortable - But certainly not as comfortable as any of the guitars I own that it’s competing with.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Thanks Marc. I appreciate the feedback.

My dream is still to find an Artist at a price point I can afford. (A dream that seems to recede in the distance).

But I’d love to find a guitar that allows me to mess with various pickups without having to go through insane gyrations. Maybe I’ll have to get a Sim1 XT instead.

All 1st world problems!
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Patzag wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:26 pm Maybe I’ll have to get a Sim1 XT instead.
That unit’s been endorsed by people whose opinions I respect. If you ever try one out, please let me know your impressions.

I agree about the “insane gyrations” of swapping Fly pickups. I have a project percolating in my head to do with an H-S Fly; and I’ve seriously considered routing for pickup rings just to make mods after the fact less of a hassle.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

mmmguitar wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:49 pm routing for pickup rings .
Oy! That sounds so painful!
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

mmmguitar wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:49 pm
Patzag wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:26 pm Maybe I’ll have to get a Sim1 XT instead.
That unit’s been endorsed by people whose opinions I respect. If you ever try one out, please let me know your impressions.

I agree about the “insane gyrations” of swapping Fly pickups. I have a project percolating in my head to do with an H-S Fly; and I’ve seriously considered routing for pickup rings just to make mods after the fact less of a hassle.
Yes. The only thing holding me back is the idea of having to swap preset every time I change from neck to bridge pickup. That’s a deal breaker for me as I only play live.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Patzag wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:31 pm
mmmguitar wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:49 pm routing for pickup rings .
Oy! That sounds so painful!
Maybe rear mounted would be a better option. A little more challenging but aesthetically more pleasing. Maybe?
Musikron

Post by Musikron »

I'll chime in with my issue on Aristides that didn't even let me consider them.
Lack of a proven track record with a completely composite laminate guitar.
What I mean is, those guitars are all plastic, different plastics at that, bonded together in a very specific way and are essentially unrepairable. But beyond making repairs in the case of damage, I question the "shelf life" of the materials used in it's construction and the bonding processes. The thicker these pieces tend to be, the worse delamination and shrinkage differentials tend to affect the structural integrity. Ever seen a boat with thick gel coat just start to crack and peel away in big chunks? Ever tried to repair old rotten fiberglass? Ever seen plastic outdoor equipment just disintegrate after a few years? I have, and it makes me worry what these guitars will look like in 25 years. Maybe they'll be just fine, maybe they'll start rotting in their cases after 15. But for the money they are charging (also no good trems or piezo systems), it leaves me with too many "what if's?" to get my hard earned dollars. Forget the only think I like about their looks are some of the hot rod paint jobs.
I still say try another Majesty, just make double sure the boost isn't engaged this time!
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

My Aristides after I read that post:

vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

:lol: @mmmguitar

I agree with @Musikron that I’m skeptical of many new proprietary materials with questionable failure rates—not at that price point anyway!
Musikron

Post by Musikron »

mmmguitar wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:30 pm My Aristides after I read that post:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Musikron wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:54 pm I'll chime in with my issue on Aristides that didn't even let me consider them.
What I mean is, those guitars are all plastic, different plastics at that, bonded together in a very specific way and are essentially unrepairable. But beyond making repairs in the case of damage, I question the "shelf life" of the materials used in it's construction and the bonding processes. The thicker these pieces tend to be, the worse delamination and shrinkage differentials tend to affect the structural integrity. Ever seen a boat with thick gel coat just start to crack and peel away in big chunks? Ever tried to repair old rotten fiberglass? Ever seen plastic outdoor equipment just disintegrate after a few years? I have, and it makes me worry what these guitars will look like in 25 years. Maybe they'll be just fine, maybe they'll start rotting in their cases after 15. But for the money they are charging (also no good trems or piezo systems), it leaves me with too many "what if's?" to get my hard earned dollars. Forget the only think I like about their looks are some of the hot rod paint jobs.
I still say try another Majesty, just make double sure the boost isn't engaged this time!
I will do that as soon as I get a chance.

Your points above are well taken. Thank you.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Musikron wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:54 pm I'll chime in with my issue on Aristides that didn't even let me consider them.
I will do that as soon as I get a chance.

Your points above are well taken. Thank you.