Nut replacement

Discussions of the NiteFly NFV1-8, NFV-M, and NFV-SA models
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Re: Nut replacement

Post by mmmguitar »

That’s a bummer, @jester700. I was hoping the zeroglide could be made to work similarly to the Vigier setups I’ve used. I’ll likely cut my own slots, should I try it out.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton »

mmmguitar wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:24 pm My ‘97 Classic’s G slot is worn enough to produce that tell-tale sitar buzz you get from insufficient break angle. I’ll probably use the ol’ smidge of baking soda and CA trick, then file it down with some sandpaper wrapped around a spare string. I’ll bump with results, for the sake of anyone else not wanting to replace the whole nut just yet.
This is exactly what I was looking for. My G string started doing the same thing. I knew it was the nut. I have an extra fly Nut that is pre cut, but I figured this would be an easier fix and that someone has had to have tried it before. Thanks for the post.

I think ill use shavings from the extra nut that i have as an aggregate/filler, that way i match the material exactly. I may try cutting a single piece off that completely fills the G string slot, glue it, then file that down.... ill see how it goes.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Thanks for saying so, @Jack Burton. Though I’m about to swap a “new to me” nut into the same guitar just because I’m going to list it for sale, I’m happy to report that the amateur slot fill I did has held up without issue in the meantime.

I’ve surely mentioned it elsewhere (probably in this thread): Because the G is the string which moves the most with trem use, I expect every Fly owner who regularly flicks that twang bar to inevitably be confronted with this same consequence of the string sawing into its nut slot. If I can feel I’ve helped with that to any extent, that’s great. Please let us know how it goes.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory