Parker neck sculpts

General musical discussions that don't fall under other categories.
ubik55

Parker neck sculpts

Post by ubik55 »

Do the neck sculpts of Parkers vary between models much? Are there any Parkers with thick/chunky necks for example?
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Parker neck sculpts

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi ubik55,

Technically, all Fly necks were intended to be the exact same; see the History post for some added info on this. In short, sometimes things went wrong in the factory and an additional 30 thousandths thick fingerboard was overlaid on top of an old fretboard, which made the overall neck “chunky”.

In the case of the NiteFly that Ken made for Reeves Gabrels, the neck was intentionally made with IIR four fretboards to make it chunky like a baseball bat! 🙂
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Of the six Flys I’ve owned, the two produced in 2008 and 2011 had beefier necks (which is more my preference). The rest are 90s Ken-era, and have all had consistent shapes.

#NeckShape
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Similarly, my 2007 Deluxe and 2008 Mojo have beefier necks, while all of my earlier Flys have thin necks consistently.
ubik55

Post by ubik55 »

Okay interesting yeah I am liking more chunky necks lately these days, so good to know about those 2000s Flys. Cool! Might look into a Nitefly as well.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Yeah, I do remember a time where I was kind of unfairly 😕 about my chunky neck Mojo (versus the thin neck), but, for certain things, I really do like it a lot.

Did you ever play a NiteFly? Those necks are, in fact, a bit chunkier than Fly necks. Again, at first I was sort of turned off to the NiteFly for that reason (and it having only 22 frets), but it does have a certain feel (and sound, of course) that I really have grown to like quite a bit.
ubik55

Post by ubik55 »

vjmanzo wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:17 am Yeah, I do remember a time where I was kind of unfairly 😕 about my chunky neck Mojo (versus the thin neck), but, for certain things, I really do like it a lot.

Did you ever play a NiteFly? Those necks are, in fact, a bit chunkier than Fly necks. Again, at first I was sort of turned off to the NiteFly for that reason (and it having only 22 frets), but it does have a certain feel (and sound, of course) that I really have grown to like quite a bit.
Have never tried a Nitefly and I'm kicking myself because one was on craigslist recently and it got snatched up a few weeks ago! But yeah as long as its a C-shape neck I'd probably like it. I'm not into the U-shapes at all really.