The itch

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Re: The itch

Post by mmmguitar »

Gregsaab wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:08 am More than I planned on spending, but it was too hard to pass up.
I certainly know the feeling. Congrats on your latest addiction.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Gregsaab wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:16 pm Pretty depressing seeing a Fly in this condition, especially given the “great” rating that they gave it.
Ughh—what a disappointment when that happens!! Glad this ordeal, at the very least, gave you an opportunity to demo an original Deluxe! Guitar Center and I may not always agree on what a guitar in “great” condition looks like, but I can forgive them fairly easily with their flexible 45-day return policy!

I’ll second, Marc in saying congrats on your new Fly!! 🙌🏻😮👌🏻
Gregsaab

Post by Gregsaab »

I got my Mojo from GC in 2015 for $1650 and it was in perfect condition, aside from the upper horn having a crack at the strap button. When the crack worsened, they actually paid for the repair.
1998 Deluxe in Dusty Black
1999 Deluxe in Emerald Green
2011 Mojo in Transparent Red [sold]
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Gregsaab wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:00 am When the crack worsened, they actually paid for the repair.
That’s awesome. What did the repair entail, and did GC do it in-house or reimburse you for a third party?

It really is a roll of the dice with them: My ‘08 Tangerine Mojo shipped in perfect condition from a GC’s used section (double-boxed in hard case, with all accessories included), and they even offered to eat the sales tax. But I’ve also had “great” condition GC guitars arrive at my doorstep in a single layer of bubble wrap secured with scotch tape, missing the knobs and switch tip.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Gregsaab wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:08 am Thanks for sharing that video, good info to have.

I accepted a counter offer on this Reverb listing: https://reverb.com/item/53498026-parker ... t=53498026

Excellent condition with all of the case candy, hardshell, gig, 9&10 springs, trem bar (no need to bend an allen key :lol: )

More than I planned on spending, but it was too hard to pass up.
Beautiful guitar! Congratulations!
Gregsaab

Post by Gregsaab »

mmmguitar wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:38 pm
Gregsaab wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:00 am When the crack worsened, they actually paid for the repair.
That’s awesome. What did the repair entail, and did GC do it in-house or reimburse you for a third party?

It really is a roll of the dice with them: My ‘08 Tangerine Mojo shipped in perfect condition from a GC’s used section (double-boxed in hard case, with all accessories included), and they even offered to eat the sales tax. But I’ve also had “great” condition GC guitars arrive at my doorstep in a single layer of bubble wrap secured with scotch tape, missing the knobs and switch tip.
I took it to a 3rd party and they happily paid me the cost. It was just wood glue + epoxy, think it was around $175 or so and it was already well priced at the time.
Gregsaab

Post by Gregsaab »

Patzag wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:13 pm
Gregsaab wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:08 am Thanks for sharing that video, good info to have.

I accepted a counter offer on this Reverb listing: https://reverb.com/item/53498026-parker ... t=53498026

Excellent condition with all of the case candy, hardshell, gig, 9&10 springs, trem bar (no need to bend an allen key :lol: )

More than I planned on spending, but it was too hard to pass up.
Beautiful guitar! Congratulations!
Thank you - I’m very excited about it!
Gregsaab

Post by Gregsaab »

I returned the ‘97 to GC yesterday and explained the condition not matching. The manager expressed his surprise that it had been listed as ‘great’ given the condition.

However, that store relisted it with same condition specified: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Parke ... ly&index=4
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Gregsaab wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:44 am However, that store relisted it with same condition
I saw that earlier today. Disappointing to say the least. They have that one single image on there that doesn’t show any of the damage, and then there’s no mention at all of anything being wrong with the instrument; that’s outright dishonest. Shame on them.
Gregsaab

Post by Gregsaab »

vjmanzo wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:30 am
Gregsaab wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:44 am However, that store relisted it with same condition
I saw that earlier today. Disappointing to say the least. They have that one single image on there that doesn’t show any of the damage, and then there’s no mention at all of anything being wrong with the instrument; that’s outright dishonest. Shame on them.
They just downgraded it to Good.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Yes, I see that. I don’t really get the “one photo” thing, but what do I know about selling a guitar 🤷
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

The condition has again been revised to “Poor” - Yet no price decreases.
Gregsaab

Post by Gregsaab »

mmmguitar wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:12 pm The condition has again been revised to “Poor” - Yet no price decreases.
I see Good at present. They did add a lot of photos, however!
Gregsaab

Post by Gregsaab »

The ‘98 arrived and is, indeed, pristine. As stated in sale, the only blemish is a small scuff on top of headstock.
Intonation, string height, relief are perfect. No buzz anywhere. Quite pleased to say the least.
Attachments
5C0B379C-B202-475A-9AC7-7DB3E917AC84.jpeg
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Wow.
Congratulations!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Looks great! 🥳
Gregsaab

Post by Gregsaab »

Having the step stop toggle and external balance wheel is great - so much easier.

What is the reason that Parker switched from conical to flat fingerboard after USM acquisition? Just cost stavings?

Has anyone noticed a relationship between balance tension and buzz/unwanted resonance? On both of my Flys I’ve gotten rid of noise when reducing tension (both were too tight).
vjmanzo
Site Admin

10 to 13" arc contour on Fly fingerboard

Post by vjmanzo »

Gregsaab wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:20 pm What is the reason that Parker switched from conical to flat fingerboard after USM acquisition?
The colloquial understanding is that most of the changes to the “refined“ Fly were about cost savings. That being said, getting a smooth 10 to 13” arc is not easy. One positive aspect of the fly design is that the fretboard (oversized and with frets affixed) was contoured to the exact profile of the neck with the frets being vacuum-formed around that shape, so, if the neck shape did have a smooth contour, so would, in principle, the fretboard. However, if any part of the process (shaping the neck or affixing the fretboard) didn’t go as hoped/planned, then, of course, some of that effort may have been labored in vain and the 10-13” contour gradient could be less perceptible. I suspect that that informed though decision to depart from the original contoured neck profile.

#NeckContour
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Gregsaab wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:20 pm What is the reason that Parker switched from conical to flat fingerboard after USM acquisition? Just cost stavings?
These posts are as much as I know on the matter (in addition to VJ’s insights into production). It seems USM was producing fingerboards with a constant-feeling radius whether they meant to or not; so they gave up to save on labor. But with the discrepancies between posted radii (12” vs 14”) and dates (2008 vs 2011 vs 2014) that I’ve seen over the years, all I know is what I’ve experienced firsthand (2008 Fly with conical radius, 2011 Fly with a fixed 14” and the tell-tale misaligned low E string going from the nut to the tuner as a consequence of the redesign).
jb63
Forum Veteran

Post by jb63 »

mmmguitar wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:25 pm
all I know is what I’ve experienced firsthand (2008 Fly with conical radius, 2011 Fly with a fixed 14” and the tell-tale misaligned low E string going from the nut to the tuner as a consequence of the redesign).
THIS! SO MUCH THIS!
I've played about 20 of them made in different years and experienced many of them not being the exact radius that they are supposed to be.
I've never had a lemon, though I hear here that they are out there.They all just seen SLIGHT different, like instruments should.

Now that they are all for sale but you can't touch 'em, you just have to see what you get and keep it or discard it.

I'm currently playing the most expensive fly I've ever owned and its a beater '99 Artist model that I had Dayn replace all the guts with from a donor fly from '97 and its only expensive because I had to buy 2 to get 1.

But it plays better than all the other (I got lucky) and has a slightly different radii than my other favorite, my 97 deluxe.
They SHOULD have the same conical 10 to 13 radius but they don't really. the artist is more 10 to 14.

But I love them both like children!
just plain lost