Guitar Stores in Austin TX for Parker Guitars Service

General musical discussions that don't fall under other categories.
mischasera

Guitar Stores in Austin TX for Parker Guitars Service

Post by mischasera »

Hi guys,

Just a quick refresher, here's my Parker:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=359

I was wondering if anyone knows of any guitar stores or possibly freelancing guitar techs in Austin, TX (or even nearby areas) that are qualified to do work on Parkers.

The last time I needed to get repairs on a Parker guitar (there was something wrong with the circuit board and no sound was coming from the piezo), I tried taking it to nearly a dozen stores in PA/OH/WV tristate area, and nobody wanted to touch a parker with a 12-ft pole, lol. This was around the time when the fate of the company was uncertain, and even the authorized Parker dealers seemed to be in the dark as to what was on the horizon for Parker.

I just want to get it set up properly, but there are also some minor issues with the electronics. The magnetic/piezo switch is a but janky, and in the magnetic position, if I touch it ever so slightly, the piezo gets engaged incorrectly.

But just in general, I'd prefer to take the guitar for maintenance as needed to someone who knows what they're doing when it comes to Parker guitars.

Thanks!
Mischa
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Re: Guitar Stores in Austin TX for Parker Guitars Service

Post by mmmguitar »

Being as no one’s chimed in, I’ll point out that your 2014 Parker’s under-the-hood components aren’t anywhere near as complicated or rare as what was in the Ken-era stuff: Any Gibson-style On/Off/On Toggle can replace your mag/piezo switch, if spraying contact cleaner on the contacts/leaves and making sure they aren’t bent or anything from wear doesn’t fix the issue.

My 2011 Supreme also had issues with that switch; due to the fact that the quality of pots and switches seemingly got worse and worse from 2003 to 2015.

Here’s a repair article:

I don’t mean to disrespect your wishes for a Parker-acquainted tech (I had to become one myself; for wont of one :lol:) when I say that there should be any number of techs in Texas willing to solder in a replacement selector switch, regardless of the guitar. In fact, it’s straightforward enough that I encourage you to attempt it yourself. But as far as your 2014 MaxxFly goes, it’s a pretty traditionally built and wired guitar that happens to be shaped like a Parker; and any tech experienced with other guitars should be able to work on it.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Re: Guitar Stores in Austin TX for Parker Guitars Service

Post by mmmguitar »

@mischasera, any updates?
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory