High E slipping off saddle on low trem dives

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
edkeller

Post by edkeller »

Hey all. I searched forum and could not find this subject addressed so posting in case noone's discussed. It is I imagine a very common issue.

When using the trem on my ~2001 Fly, which is set up with a very low action, sometimes the High E jumps off the saddle.
Aside from raising the action a little bit, has anyone any advice to compensate for this issue?

Thx, cheers, super best
Ed
https://thermalhowl.bandcamp.com/
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @edkeller; welcome!

What string gauge is that high E? A .009? Also, which saddle do you have:
EB22A38F-9428-4E93-B2BD-FBC5130ECE40.jpeg
I used to have issues where the high E gets snagged on the edge of the pickup when I strummed aggressively, but never that it falls off the saddle. I was able to fix the problem by changing my technique, but that might be more difficult in your case.

Still, knowing the string gauge and saddle type might allow others to share some insights.

#StringIssues
edkeller

Re: High E slipping off saddle on low trem dives

Post by edkeller »

It is the 'screw saddles' type. using .10- about 46.
Pic attached! THX!
flybridge.jpg
@vjmanzo thank you very much for the welcome and any advice! Cheers-
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Interesting—I’d think the screw saddle is the least likely to allow the string to slip out of the groove, so I’m somewhat stumped. Maybe it’s just an occupational hazard of dive-bombing? I do play with very low action, but haven’t come across this issue in my own playing.

😬

Anyone else experience this?
edkeller

Post by edkeller »

I'm not a super-energetic whammy user. I do bring things all the way down, tho, quite often. High E jumps off frequently and the only fix I've discovered over the years is to raise the action a smidgen on the treble side of the trem system. THX again all for any insights!
Big Swifty
Forum Veteran

Post by Big Swifty »

Yeah I've never heard of this either, have the same saddles and haven't had it occur... it might be that raising the action is the only viable solution.

I had the string getting caught under the pickup problem for many years after I bought the guitar, ended up modifying my pick hand technique slightly to not drag the strings quite so hard.. not to be a dick about it, but might be worth looking at your technique, see if there's something you're doing that is specifically causing the issue. Playing musical instruments is a pretty complex biomechanical task, lots going on that your consciousness is unaware of etc..

And whatever you do, don't file the slot! I know you haven't mentioned it, just putting out there...

Cheers

B.S.

P.S. @edkeller Dig your Bandcamp stuff! Love me a good bit of experimental noise sonic exploration excursion!
The system can't get you in your dreams.
edkeller

Post by edkeller »

Hey folks, thanks so much for the fast thoughts. This is clearly a great forum...

Big Swifty, also, thx for listening to the sounds! Nearly all those records were done my my Strandberg. I am working the Fly back into rotation hence the questions! And yes on technique. Very possible I play too hard when picking. A lot of the crazy harshness in my pick attack is due to using 4mm plexi picks with rough edges. they chirp a lot.

The highE thing, tho, that's just on the bottom of a trem dive. I'm actually pretty gentle with the instruments and esp with trem stuff; no shaking the gtr around from the trem arm for me, it's pretty restrained. So I think the string issue is a mechanical line of connection on the nut to saddle at the lowest arc of the trem...