Maintenance Kit

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Maintenance Kit

Post by Patzag »

Hi. Can anyone here recommend a maintenance kit for my Flys? Mostly concerned with set ups. My classic started to buzz unexpectedly. I suspect a fret lifting but have not been able to find it yet.
So I decided (after 40 years) to really outfit myself with feeler gauges and any other basic tools I'd need.
Not looking to spend a mint. Just a good kit.

Thanks.
billy
Forum Veteran

Re: Maintenance Kit

Post by billy »

Most of my stuff is from the auto parts store or Home Depot. A few pieces from Amazon.

I have some of those fold out Allen wrench sets, English, metric, and metric torx.

A set of wire cutters/strippers. A usb soldering iron, some wick and solder. Phillips and flat head screw drivers- the all in one type with different bits are great. Needle nose pliers, a small adjustable wrench. A variety of screws, flat washers, an extra jack, pot, plug, some wire. A needle file. Fold out feeler gauges. Retractable box cutter (not for carry on- easy to forget, ask me how I know!). Some super glue, tape, heat shrink.

The metric and torx foldout sets, needle nose pliers, wire cutters and the many bit screw driver can do a lot if you want to streamline. Maybe one of those leatherman things could streamline further, I might try that. (Now I’m thinking maybe there’s a way to make one Parker specific- it would be awesome.)

I haven’t done a gig in probably 3 years now. But this gets you emergency first aid for little things that can go wrong and anything you can’t fix with this is probably catastrophic anyway.
Billy

Spruce spruce and CF forever...
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Thanks Billy.
Much appreciated!
My need is mostly centered around home set up, rather than at a gig. But your post has some cool ideas. (USB Soldering iron!)
Anyhow. Looking for advice on feeler gauges, action ruler, etc.
Funny how auto part feeler gauge are sold at 6 bucks, same set for "guitar" is $29.00!
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Patzag wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:40 pm Funny how auto part feeler gauge are sold at 6 bucks, same set for "guitar" is $29.00!
As Ken said in an old interview, StewMac will sell you a template for blowing your nose. The “luthier” industry is so niche that the end-consumer is often the same person making the tools.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Barry
PM20 Expert

Post by Barry »

If you suspect a fret problem I would recommend a Fret Rocker as a quick check for high frets. It's an accurate check for "levelness".

The one from (who else?) StewMac is excellent but rather pricey, but you can buy a knock off elsewhere for less or simply use any appropriately sized straight piece of metal or plastic which will work OK.

(Metal is preferred as it will "click" as it rocks on the high fret.)
Love one woman, many guitars.
Or, was it the other way around?

Guitars: https://legend.barryeames.com
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Thanks to all! Appreciate the help.
Big Swifty
Forum Veteran

Post by Big Swifty »

Well a basic maintenance kit is just pliers and feeler gauges really, and yeah the automotive cheap ones work just fine.

And a capo for the first fret string hold down. I usually don't even use feelers these days, you can eyeball/feel the neck relief close enough.

But if you've got sudden fret buzz, then that's probably more than basic maintenance, I'd suggest..

Buzzing... I'm sure you know how to find the offending fret Patzag, slowly going up the neck till the buzz stops etc... there was that vid about replacing frets, tapping the frets with something metallic to find the duff ones, they sounded different to well secured ones, more thud..

Maybe it's just time for a fret dress?. These guitars are all getting on now, and the SS frets do wear, albeit slowly..

Anyway, I've also have a cheap set of radius measures, string height multi-ruler/fret rocker thing, from eBay, but..never really found it useful.

Good luck!

B.S.
The system can't get you in your dreams.
billy
Forum Veteran

Post by billy »

Patzag wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:40 pm Thanks Billy.
Much appreciated!
My need is mostly centered around home set up, rather than at a gig. But your post has some cool ideas. (USB Soldering iron!)
Anyhow. Looking for advice on feeler gauges, action ruler, etc.
Funny how auto part feeler gauge are sold at 6 bucks, same set for "guitar" is $29.00!
No problem Patrick

I like the usb iron because it’s small and heats fast. Probably underpowered for soldering lots of ground wires to pots, but for a gig repair you can ground to a smaller connection elsewhere.

Amazon has some $20-30 “luthier kits” not sure useful or reliable you’ll find that stuff. I think stew Mac has nicer ones depending on your wallet. Check Philadelphia luthier supply too, less marketing costs to cover there.

I generally buy nicer hand tools vs cheap ones, I hate it when a tool breaks, strips, etc.

Sounds like you have a fret lifting, worn nut, or need a truss to tweak. I’m sure you’ll sort it.
Billy

Spruce spruce and CF forever...
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

billy wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:52 am
Sounds like you have a fret lifting, worn nut, or need a truss to tweak. I’m sure you’ll sort it.
I tend to think this is the A slot in the nut that a touch low. Because fretting at the first fret makes the buzz disappear completely.
I minimized it with a touch of truss adjustment, but I may need to raise that slot a skosh. Never done that before so ... time to learn!
jester700

Post by jester700 »

Patzag wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:08 pm I tend to think this is the A slot in the nut that a touch low. Because fretting at the first fret makes the buzz disappear completely.
I minimized it with a touch of truss adjustment, but I may need to raise that slot a skosh. Never done that before so ... time to learn!

I think I have a couple of new nuts if you end up needing one. Gotten before I realized the MaxxFlies used different ones than the older designs. Free of charge.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

jester700 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:14 pm
Patzag wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:08 pm I tend to think this is the A slot in the nut that a touch low. Because fretting at the first fret makes the buzz disappear completely.

I think I have a couple of new nuts if you end up needing one. Gotten before I realized the MaxxFlies used different ones than the older designs. Free of charge.
Gotta love that spirit!
I'll let you know. But knowing this is standing by is a definite heart warmer!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

jester700 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:14 pm I think I have a couple of new nuts if you end up needing one.
❤️