Parker P-38 Fishman/Wilko bridge problem

PM10s, PM20s, PDFs, and all other P Series guitars and basses
ddraig

Parker P-38 Fishman/Wilko bridge problem

Post by ddraig »

Hi all.

I've bought a P-38 which i received today. I'm most happy with it as it's in amazing condition for it's age. One small problem seems to be the 'acoustic' output of the A and low E strings.
It's considirably lower output than the rest of the strings. I was wondering if this was a common thing? Anyone experienced this before?
Does anyone know if the saddles are replaceable?

It's possible that the old strings that are on there aren't helping matters, but the fact that the D string output is fine, kind of took me away from that theory.
I've put a fresh battery in also.

Thanks all.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Parker P-38 Fishman/Wilko bridge problem

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @ddraig— I don’t own this particular guitar, but I do know that the piezo elements in the saddles really need enough tension from the string in order to work properly, and when strings get old, they often develop small bends and weird shapes in them that affect intonation and, possibly in your case, other problems.

I panicked with one of my guitars when one saddle was seemingly quieter than others, but then was relieved when I simply changed the strings to solve the problem. Hopefully, that’s the same result you’ll find. If not, there are certainly replacement approaches—I think Fishman even has something that would fit easily with your guitar.

Let us know?
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

+1 to VJ. If cleaning the parts and changing the strings doesn’t fix the output discrepancy, you can order replacement elements for a Powerbridge VS-50P Wilkinson trem from Fishman or through a dealer.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
ddraig

Post by ddraig »

So I've bought two parkers within two ish weeks, joined this forum and found it's the best, 'on the ball' forum I've been part of. Amazing wealth of info and knowledge.
Thanks fellas. New strings ordered, will report back.

This guitar was purchased as a potential project btw. Thinking of a refinish, new pickups, machine heads, maybe make a new scratchplate for it... when I bought my deluxe the other week, it fulfilled s dream I've had since I first saw Reeves Gabrells with his Niteflys (with Bowie)... but this P-series, is going to quash my 'make a crazy looking parker' dream :lol:
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

ddraig wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:12 pm ...found it's the best, 'on the ball' forum I've been part of...
Totally agree! Glad we've all found eachother and thrilled that a centralized and open source of accurate info on Parkers exists! We're fortunate to have @Ken Parker and some of the former Parker employees as members!
ddraig wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:12 pm when I bought my deluxe the other week, it fulfilled s dream I've had since I first saw Reeves Gabrells with his Niteflys (with Bowie)...
Yes!!!!! :D Same here! Did you happen to see this thread with some "Earthling love", and this one with a few comments from the current owner of the NiteFly Ken made for Reeves? Good stuff if you're thinking of expanding your team to include a NiteFly! :lol:
ddraig

Post by ddraig »

Checked those threads out. Awesome, cheers.

Although this P-Series is in fantastic condition, it's gonna eventually have a refinish. Gonna ask for suggestions from people. I saw s nitefly with a white body and black neck. Very cool. I was thinking of something a little bit way out though.... maybe paint splatter, or black with a gold painted cloth dabbed on it... just gonna take my time, and research for styles.

Suggest away anyone if you feel like! :)
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Best ever outlandish paint job I saw was a swirl of a Fly. It was on the old forum so I don't have a link.
I think I spent an hour gazing at this thing! Wow!
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

I’m not sure what I like more: seeing guitars with those swirl finishes or seeing the hypnotic videos of people making those swirl finishes! 😵‍💫
ddraig

Post by ddraig »

Patzag wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:54 pm Best ever outlandish paint job I saw was a swirl of a Fly. It was on the old forum so I don't have a link.
I think I spent an hour gazing at this thing! Wow!
Wow..... amazing. :shock:
ddraig

Post by ddraig »

OK... the plot thickens (a bit)....

Fitted fresh strings to just the E and A (because the rest were already so loud via the piezo), and noticed that the saddles of these two strings weren't screwed down properly. Tightened them and it's helped a bit, but still not as loud/bright as the rest of the strings. One thing that's still persistent from the old strings, is that when you strike one off those two strings, the note that comes from the amp 'crackles' like a faulty switch kind of sound.

The out put Jack socket is totally temperamental. Tried cleaning with ear bud and contract cleaner but it's not happy..

Looked under the plate, and it's looking a bit messy in there..
I'm sure some of you have enough knowledge to recognise if the soldering in my pictures is factory done or not... I'd suggest : not.
Note the piece of red cable soldered to the back of the pot that's been snipped.

I'm just giving it a proper good look over before going back to the Ebay seller for a moan.
I paid £300 which might seem steep to my American friends, but guitars in general are always more expensive across the board here in the U.K.

Don't think it'll hurt to have a complain at the bloke, as its got major fret buzz all over.

Thoughts on the piezo/soldering?
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

I’ll certainly have a look once the photo is posted.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
ddraig

Post by ddraig »

Here we go
Attachments
20220128_131905.mp4
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 140 times
ddraig

Post by ddraig »

Attachments
ddraig

Post by ddraig »

I'm assuming the Ken Armstrong designed pickups are standard?
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Yeah...Hopefully it wasn’t listed as “all original.” I’ve never tried Kent Armstrongs to know how they compare to the OEM “Parker designed” pickups.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Right...according to the P-38 Manual, it's a Fishman piezo pickup and Parker custom wound alnico pickups (one Humbucker and two Single-coils)
ddraig

Post by ddraig »

No, the listing didn't state all original. Here it is:

Parker P38 version of famous Parker Fly

2000’s built

H/S/S Alnicos with Fishman piezo

Stereo output

One piece ash body, slim maple neck

Very playable and huge range of tones with switching options

Comfortable to play and solid without being too weighty.
In good used condition. No major cosmetic dings or marks but it’s been gigged and it is not pristine. Some minor fret wear but plenty left in them yet.

≈=========================

I'm not really bothered about the pickups as I intended to swap them out anyway, but getting the piezo tones working properly would be fantastic.

As VJ mentioned, Fishman might do replacement parts so will look into that next.

Cheers. ;)
ddraig

Post by ddraig »

Small update on this.. I messaged the seller, and he most graciously offered £120 refund to get the guitar up to scratch. What a nice fella. :D
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

That is such great news! Wow—what a kind act: my faith in the decency of humanity is boosted 🙂

I’m very curious to hear how that Fishman system works out!