What do we know about Dusty Black?

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
Big Swifty
Forum Veteran

What do we know about Dusty Black?

Post by Big Swifty »

Hi folks!

I was fortunate to have been offered a 2001 pre-refined deluxe I worked on a year or so ago for a fair price over the weekend, so I grabbed it!!

It’s in fantastic condition, except for one smallish ding that could use repair of some sort.

The finish is what I’d call Dusty Black, but when I google the dusty black PPG code as found elsewhere on this site, it turns up a kind of grey.

Also, it’s the kind of finish that to me doesn’t look like it can come from one can, kinda speckled black, but dunno, I’m no paint expert.

So.. what do we all know about Dusty Black?

I’ll post pics later, just passing time waiting in line for a COVID test ATM… *sigh

Cheers

B. S.
The system can't get you in your dreams.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: What do we know about Dusty Black?

Post by vjmanzo »

Hey @Big Swifty—did you see this thread. The infinitely wise marvin (part of that thread) might have some insights to offer…

Here’s a closeup of my Dusty Black Fly:
CBE5390E-B83E-413A-80F3-42FBC3AEEA54.jpeg
Does your Fly look like that? It’s not so sparkly, I think.

Congrats on the new Fly!!!
Big Swifty
Forum Veteran

Post by Big Swifty »

Hey @vjmanzo!... my new found Dusty Black brother of twang!!

Yeah, that was the thread i found, but buggered if I can find a Dusty Black example according to paint code on that chart anywhere, I've Googled and Shmoogled.. if anyone can find it be much obliged!

@Marvin..is ..a ..legend... He sold me a master vol pot from his secret stash of bits and pieces back in the old forum days when mine took a hit and went all stiff and weird, still working today!

Here's a little family shot, new Dusty Black acquisition in the centre, '94 deluxe below, been gigged continuously since new, still going strong, next gig this Friday! and the Dragonfly (yes, before the name-change) DF 524 above. Modified pups; Bill Lawrence L200's and a Bare Knuckle Aftermath.
IMG_8373.jpg
And a close-up of the hardest colour in the universe to get a pic of, Dusty Black:
IMG_8371.jpg

Mmmm Dusty Black, just like ma heart...

B.S.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Big Swifty wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:05 am Mmmm Dusty Black, just like ma heart...
🤣🤣🖤
billy
Forum Veteran

Post by billy »

My mojo TOM project was dusty black originally. Pretty sure it’s just black with fine metal flake in the base coat, then clear gloss top coat. Don’t have the code but I think it’s ppg. There should be honda, ford, etc touch up pens that will be very close.
Billy

Spruce spruce and CF forever...
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

billy wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:55 pm There should be honda, ford, etc touch up pens that will be very close.
Good thought, Billy!
Big Swifty
Forum Veteran

Post by Big Swifty »

Cheers thnx @Billy!

Good idea...

B.S.