Total Refurbish of Trashed Fly Deluxe

Show and tell! This is a place to showcase your Parker guitar! New members are encouraged to introduce themselves here.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Re: Total Refurbish of Trashed Fly Deluxe

Post by mmmguitar »

Hey, everyone. Gary/Fly Rod was reported by his wife to have passed away from a coronary blockage on February 15th (his last day active on the site). His funeral was last month.

We didn't interact much outside of threads but, any time we did, Gary's candor was a joy to engage with. GIven the recent hospitalization and other issues he had shared here, I first assumed he was taking time away to focus on his health and family. Once more than a month had gone by without Gary visiting the site, I avoided confirming my suspicions until a few minutes ago; when I finally worked up the nerve to check his wife's social media (which Gary had linked here previously).

Though it never got to the point of serious discussion (largely due to it being a project between Gary and his son), I intended to help Gary finish the Fly restoration in the event he reported hitting a wall with it. This was my favorite thread and, as selfish as may be of me to say, I'm hoping this isn't the end of it. Per the sentiments I read from his family and friends, it seems the genuine and humorous nature Gary presented here was consistent in all his interactions. We lost a good one.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Musikron

Post by Musikron »

Sad to hear that. I enjoyed this thread and his posts. I'll throw my hat into the ring on completing his project fly for the family.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

There's never an appropriate response to such an announcement.
Thanks for taking the time and caring enough to check on Gary, Marc.

His spirit lives on.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

I’ll echo others’ sentiments: I’m very sad to hear this. Gary was a special kind of person—genuine, funny, and thoughtful—and this thread speaks to those aspects of his life.

Thanks, Marc, for writing such a lovely post; I know that wasn’t easy, but I’m sure we all appreciate it.
Voice Of Reason
Forum Veteran

Post by Voice Of Reason »

I had been reading this thread with interest. I am sad to hear he passed away.

My condolences to his family.
1998 Fly Classic
Lou

Post by Lou »

Very sad news.
InsideInfo

Post by InsideInfo »

OMG I've been away from the board too long, that's awful. What a great guy. That man's in heaven right now playing a solid gold Parker.