dimarzio upgrade pups

Discussions of the NiteFly NFV1-8, NFV-M, and NFV-SA models
dalo

dimarzio upgrade pups

Post by dalo »

I called dimarzio tech for suggestions on upgrade pups for my hss 98 nitefly. classic rock..blues..etc. he suggested PAF 36 for B, Satch Track for N and Fast Track1 for M..any suggestions ya or na or other combo from u guys that know a lot more than i do..? any help greatly appreciated..thanks
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: dimarzio upgrade pups

Post by vjmanzo »

hey @dalo, sounds like a fun pursuit! I don't have specific insights to offer on those particular pickups, but, if it were me, I'd use the DiMarzio recommendations as a starting point.

Having said that, did you see this post on the original NiteFly pickups? It might be worth looking up those specific pickups and see how they compare "color-wise" to the ones DiMarzio has suggested.

You probably know this already, but this easily gets into "cork sniffing" terrain :lol: , so your own ears should be the final deciding factor. My personal position on the notion of "pickup swapping" is to change string brand first, string gauge second, picks third, and then pickup height fourth, and pickups (the least economical) fifth. Unless the actual pickup "architecture" is varied, then you may get similar-sounding results with a variety of different pickups, but you will get stark and VERY noticeable differences by adjusting those other variables. Just my two cents!

Of course, most of the fun is the exploration, so by all means: go for it and tell us what you come up with!
dalo

Post by dalo »

yeah..my pups sound good @ 20 yrs. old. gonna swap cracked pick g. thought while had it tore down (and funds) i'd put modern technology pups in for grins and looks. not chasing a certain sound..
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Gotcha! I’m quite partial to the Sustainiac Driver if you’re okay with a different kind of neck pickup sound; they’re very useful!!!