SS Refret

PM10s, PM20s, PDFs, and all other P Series guitars and basses
Patzag
Forum Veteran

SS Refret

Post by Patzag »

So ... I bought a PM20 Pro. I expect it'll be in my hands in a couple of weeks because of shipping nightmares to where I am located.
Regardless, I can already anticipate that I will want to get SS frets on this guitar if I am to keep it.
So I was thinking ... anyone here know of a good luthier who is used to working with SS and does not charge more than the price of the guitar to refret it with SS?
I think the PM 20 will be a keeper. It's my ersatz for a a Les Paul which I can't carry but love the tone of, and for some psychological reason, I just want to keep playing Parkers! But my experience with other P, PM, etc left me unimpressed. And I think it boils down to the SS frets first and foremost.
Anyhow, let me know if you have any connections to a reliable luthier who can handle SS.
jester700

Re: SS Refret

Post by jester700 »

Phil does a great job, but a SS refret is $400. It was a bit less a few years back when I had a couple Cort M800s done (yeah - I DID pay more for a PLEK'd S refret than I paid for a guitar).

http://www.philtone.com/refrets.html
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

jester700 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:52 am Phil does a great job, but a SS refret is $400. It was a bit less a few years back when I had a couple Cort M800s done (yeah - I DID pay more for a PLEK'd S refret than I paid for a guitar).

http://www.philtone.com/refrets.html
Thanks. I'll check it out. But yes, $400 is a bit of money for a $500 guitar!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Patzag wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:09 am I'll check it out. But yes, $400 is a bit of money for a $500 guitar!
Ya know, just sayin’: IMO, if you end up loving that guitar, $400 or so isn’t bad for that upgrade. Using inexpensive fret material is part of how they keep the costs down, as you know; if the frets on that guitar are a little worn anyway, then why not?!

Of course, there’s “all other stainless steel frets” and then there’s “the stainless steel frets on our Flys”, which is made from actual shards of Thor’s hammer!
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Assuming the frets are in good shape when you finally receive it, polishing the stock ones to a mirror finish should stave off the want for a stainless refret until the honeymoon has passed. I, too, have been spoiled by a good set of Fly frets - I just sold a Steinberger I never bonded with because I was talking myself into the expense of modding it until I liked it (which would have included a stainless refret).
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

mmmguitar wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:18 pm Assuming the frets are in good shape when you finally receive it, polishing the stock ones to a mirror finish should stave off the want for a stainless refret until the honeymoon has passed.
Good idea.
I've never polished frets. Something new to learn!