Battery compartment "in body" cover

Post by vjmanzo »

batterycover.png

See also: the Anatomy of a Fly
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Battery compartment "in body" cover

Post by vjmanzo »

Unscrewing the battery cover in a live situation is not an easy operation. I'm proposing some sort of modification to the battery cover design/shape by which the sides are squeezed and it clips into place, or some other "quick release" method.

@jb63 , @Patzag, @billy, @Big Swifty: do any of you have thoughts on this or disagree with my whining about this? (I know you all have pre-refined Flys, which is why I tagged you specifically). I'm looping in a student on this mod now who has contributed to this project.

There could also be a revision to the model that allows the battery to be gripped in some way so it's easier to pull out of cavity.
jb63
Forum Veteran

Post by jb63 »

I have an extra battery cover with the piece it fits into, all removed and cleaned up if you need to use it for fabricating something new.
BUT...
I have never ever had to change a battery mid-set. Mostly because I'm obsessive and keep testing them. I still haven't moved to rechargeable, though!

The biggest issue I have is pulling the battery out. It tends to get a little stuck and I have to shake it and slap the fly to get it out enough to get a grip on it. I solved this problem by using an actual ribbon slip around it, between the connector snaps, when sliding the battery into the cavity and then when i open the cover, just grab the ribbon and it pulls right out.

Pics on demand!
just plain lost
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Cool workaround! Makes sense. Thanks for the thoughts on this; we'll kick the idea around a bit.

Thanks for the offer about the cover--we have the cover modeled and I'm actually going to 3D print a few of those in the next couple weeks (anyone need one?! I seem to recall someone on the OF mentioning they needed one :| ). Does "the piece it fits into" you're referring to include frame that goes around it? We haven't modeled that or the thing that goes inside the body yet; I may PM you about that at some point.
Mr303
Forum Veteran

Post by Mr303 »

Maybe your 3D printed piece could have ribbed tabs fitting into the studs (like nylon rivets in autobody) with a small tab for removal on the top.
Make it all pressure fit and carry spares.

I put a loop of scotch tape on the battery and leave it folded under the cap for easier removal. Run tape up both sides.
The ribbon works too but can get lost.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Excellent!! Thanks!
jb63
Forum Veteran

Post by jb63 »

Scotch tape! I can't believe I never thought of that!
just plain lost
Mr303
Forum Veteran

Post by Mr303 »

I just replaced 9v batteries in a couple emergency flashlights and the connection made me think about the always difficult battery hookup/removal problems inherent with the Fly. I believe they are called PALights.

The flashlights have flat spring contacts instead/in place of the traditional 9v plug so the battery slips in top first.
The only caveat is the baseplate must be locked down firmly to make the connection.
It uses a small t-shaped twist lock that might solve that problem if it can be adapted at each screw hole.
My old etrex gps unit has an even smaller micro fold-down wire D handle t-lock on the battery compartment.

So...Place a flat spring loaded connector at the bottom or internal end of the battery compartment so that installing or taking the cover plate off would allow the battery to connect or fall free without the wire/fragile plug bs. The flat connectors have a rib separating each pole to help support the battery. Put a “+” sign strip of labeling tape inside the compartment for reference.

Just looking at the modeled part....if you printed the entire battery box (incorporating the 9v flat connectors) you could use a tradition pressure fit double pin and fingernail lock top like back cavity battery boxes are configured and eliminate screws pins etc.?
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

That’s a good idea! So, what if we made a baseplate with battery contacts on one side and terminals on the other that allow someone to snap the existing connector into it. Then the pressure from the battery holds it in place, and we redesign the battery compartment cover so that ya easier to open and it puts a bit of pressure on the battery with an additional strip of foam or a spring or something like that on the inside of the cover to accommodate different battery sizes.

Good?
Mr303
Forum Veteran

Post by Mr303 »

Added to my original..

Just looking at the modeled part....if you printed the entire battery box (incorporating the 9v flat connectors) you could use a tradition pressure fit double pin and fingernail lock top like back cavity battery boxes are configured and eliminate screws pins etc.?
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

I’d considered that; that might be the best approach. We can look into those types of openings. I’m a little mindful of the amount of the length of the battery cable and the potential for something to pulled out.

Underlying this whole adaptation, I feel, should be that this part is a “zero mod” drop-in replacement; you just plug this new part in with what’s already in the Fly and you’re good to go.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

I've never had to replace a battery mid set.
But it is a definite pain to get the battery changed unless you place a piece of tape on it that sticks out sufficiently to pull the battery out.
That's been my modus operandi for years now. In fact, I've used the same piece of tape on dozens of batteries and that makes the change easy.
But as far as the plate, nah. Never had a problem with it and don't think I ever will.
Notes_Norton
DragonFly Veteran

Post by Notes_Norton »

How long do your batteries last?

I change mine once a year, on my birthday, whether it needs it or not.

The still pretty good 9v batteries get used in other devices where a failure isn't a problem.

BTW, I like the scotch tape suggestion. It's a PITA sometimes to get the battery out of my DF.

My big beef is the cavity is black, both connectors look the same (no spring and snap) and the + and - markings are difficult to see. I'm thinking about putting a dot of nail polish on one or the other, then all I have to do is remember which one I put the dot on ;D (That could be it's own problem)

Notes
Bob "Notes" Norton
Norton Music: http://www.nortonmusic.com Band-in-a-Box power user style software
Also The Sophisticats: http://www.s-cats.com
billy
Forum Veteran

Post by billy »

Late to the party, crazy few months...

I haven’t changed the battery at a gig, I usually do it every 6 months along with the smoke alarms. I do carry a spare.

FWIW the screws on the plate are captive and have dime sized slots for bat changes in the field. I think the cavity is tight to avoid rattles.

The tape trick works great, but agree that bat changes could be easier with some tweaks.

There might be some snap fasteners that could replace the screws and a little dremel action with a strip of cloth and/or spring tab could make it very quick and easy.
Billy

Spruce spruce and CF forever...
skip

Post by skip »

hi,i hate changing the battery in a pre refine.id like to see a new back plate made with the battery box made in to it.i did one in a pdf that i put a greaph tect ghost system in.lot easier.can anyone print one?
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @skip; thanks for the thoughts. That’s definitely a design we’d like to adapt.
skip

Post by skip »

can someone print me a backplate for a pre refined?
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Thanks, @skip. As I mentioned in another thread, we’re not at the phase where we have a process for making these parts available, but we will certainly make those details known when the time comes.
Big Swifty
Forum Veteran

Post by Big Swifty »

...I really should check this forum more often... however..

Never really had a problem with the plate, except whenever i take it off i always wonder when the day lose it is going to come along.....

Two things i love about the design of it:
1. The screws are slotted big enough so you can unscrew them with a coin (or even a plectrum if they're not too tight)...great thinking on behalf of Mr Parker, I didn't need to carry or find a screw driver all those years...
2. The screws don't just fall out!! Why aren't all "plates" made this way...

But a screw-less design would be cool, so long as it was robust.

Yeah, the battery compartment is an ongoing tight squeeze, and the battery snap/just kind of shove the wires and all back in there could use improvement. The ideas suggested here are cool.

Big Swifty
The system can't get you in your dreams.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Great thoughts, @Big Swifty.

But, ya know, the live music scene is in such a bad way financially right now, I’m having trouble finding a coin to unscrew my battery compartment! :lol: