Olive Branch: a Ken Parker archtop

post videos and audio of you performing or discussing anything and everything related to the Fly, NiteFly, Fly Bass, mods, or something "cloned"
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Olive Branch: a Ken Parker archtop

Post by vjmanzo »

So...it’s not a Fly :lol:, but here’s a video of me performing Gerald Garcia’s “Etude 12” on “Olive Branch”, a Ken Parker archtop guitar. Strung with Dogal V24 Nightclub 80/20 Bronze Flatwound strings (12-46):

No EQ or compression added—just a little digital reverb added; this is pretty close to what you’d hear if you were sitting with me in the room. I did make a more produced version of this recording, so you can hear what this guitar would sound like when “produced”.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Re: Olive Branch: a Ken Parker archtop

Post by mmmguitar »

Lovely all-around, VJ. Though I’m not listening through studio monitors at the moment, the timbre of those highest notes seemed especially pleasant.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Thanks, Marc! I appreciate that.

I assume it comes as no surprise: Ken’s archtops are terrific and incredibly responsive instruments—very Fly-like! Lots of fun to play, and, really: it sounds like this in real life! 😮
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

First - amazing playing. Really nice to hear you do the instrument and the composition justice.

Second - my dream! I'd gladly trade my left nut for one of these instruments. I don't even play acoustic normally, but I'd instantly change my style of playing just to play this baby (actually there's another I've been lusting for, but Olive is amazing!)

Third - Thanks so much for posting this!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Thanks so much, Patrick, for the kind words. This is such a great instrument and Ken really put so much effort it it.

Thanks so much for listening!
ahmadimran

Post by ahmadimran »

Great video, and wonderful playing VJ! I thought GASsing for Parker Flys was dangerous enough, this is a whole other level. Magnificent instrument.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Thanks, @ahmadimran!

Seriously, right?! :lol:
Mr303
Forum Veteran

Post by Mr303 »

Very nice!
Both guitar and artist....very nice indeed.
Cheers!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Thanks, @Mr303 😊 I appreciate it.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Wow VJ, the guitar sounds great and your playing brings out the best from it. Very nice!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Thanks, @flyguy ♥️
DanSchafer

Post by DanSchafer »

Lovely!
Barry
PM20 Expert

Post by Barry »

Beautiful playing VJ.
Makes R&R and R&B on my PM20 seem, well, shall we say, lacking? ;)

What an extraordinary guitar that is. So many innovative ideas!
You're a lucky fella.
Love one woman, many guitars.
Or, was it the other way around?

Guitars: https://legend.barryeames.com
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Thanks, guys 🙏 I appreciate the kind words. ❤️

Ken was kind enough to let me borrow this guitar just a few weeks before the pandemic began—I don’t actually own it, but I was fortunate enough to have it in my possession for a good long while! It’s the first archtop Ken built after he left Parker Guitars!
tusker9

Post by tusker9 »

Stunning! I've been watching quite a few YouTube videos of various guitars, amps, & effects units. I've concluded that, if one wants to sell a piece of equipment, get a great player to demo it. It makes all the difference in showing what that equipment can optimally sound like. The said, you could sell a Parker arch top, or any other guitar you might choose, I would think. VJ, you really bring it home! Nice tune, also. The guitar tone really jumps out. I listened to the processed track also & it sounds even better.

When I bought my Fly in '97, I went to Cintioli's music store in Northeast Philadelphia. A bandmate lived up that way at the time. I had a mission. I would trade in the several instruments I'd brought with me (which I'd not been playing) and buy 1 great guitar. There was the usual array of Strats, Pauls, etc., many of which I tried. I played the Parker Fly and the notes just lept out. To me, it was pretty much night and day difference between the Fly & all the rest, not to mention the neck & other appointments. At that time, I had never even heard of Parker guitars. So, I walked out with my fly for $1600.

Thanks for posting @vjmanzo.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Thanks very much, @tusker9; I really appreciate that.

I also appreciated reading your story of finding a Fly in ‘97—I know many guitarists that “shop with their eyes” or with their allegiances to well-known name brands, and that’s obviously not you! It takes a special person to trust their own ears and their intuitions when it comes to finding instruments that are a good fit—seems like the Fly is the perfect fit for you and I’m thankful we share that 👌👍