Sources for Cloned and Replacement Fly Parts
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Dimarzio Pickup (Entire Assembly)

Post by vjmanzo »

pickup_1.jpg
pickup_2.jpg
See also: the Anatomy of a Fly

Having modeled all of the components of this pickup, we 3D-printed some parts of the assembly, sourced others, wound a single pickup by hand (winter, 2019), and mounted it into a Fly in the normal manner. Future iterations would involve machining components instead of 3D printing them.
Fly_pickup_printed.jpg
KenanJ

Re: Dimarzio Pickup (Entire Assembly)

Post by KenanJ »

Hey @vjmanzo ,

I saw you already modeled the baseplate of fly pickups, is there any luck to get the stl file so I can 3d print some plates to retrofit humbuckers in my fly?
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Dimarzio Pickup (Entire Assembly) Models

Post by vjmanzo »

HI @KenanJ—yes, we have an untested version of this assembly in our public Model Repository; I moved it to the root of the repo directory in a folder called "Dimarzio Pickup". IIR, this came out pretty good, but we're going back five years on this particular set of models. Here's what the team wrote at the time:

The guitar body of the Fly is so thin that special pickup mounting is required ( ½” at the neck). Fly Humbuckers are anchored with two pole piece screws going into threaded brass inserts in the guitar. (The screws are 1.400" on center, on the diagonal of a 0.720" X 1.200" grid.) Base-plate corners have a 3/8" radius. String spacing at the Parker Bridge is about 2.150". The pole pieces of DiMarzio pickups are 2" apart. ( 0.400" o.c.)
Fly Pickup.png
I hope this helps!! If you end up making some adaptations/modifications that others might find useful, please consider sharing those with the community.

#PickupIssues