Hard case recommendation

Discussions of the NiteFly NFV1-8, NFV-M, and NFV-SA models
drssyoon

Hard case recommendation

Post by drssyoon »

Hello - a proud new owner of a Nitefly. What would be the best case for it since it has the funky handle-thing body.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Hard case recommendation

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @drssyoon, welcome to the forum and congrats on the NiteFly!

The NiteFly originally came in a gig bag, as did the Fly. A short while later, the first two Fly cases were made, which, it you find one used, are too narrow to fit a NiteFly. The second Parker case, the FHC2, (the one with ridges) fits both the NiteFly and the Fly.

As far as the third-party options, I have had success buying cases that have no contour on either side and are just rectangular (Gator makes one as do many other companies), and then buying hard foam, lightly peeling off the fabric of the cases, and inserting pieces of the foam cut to size. I recently did this for my Fly FB-4 Bass (photos below) as there never was a case for that instrument. It’ll take you about an hour or so, but you’ll be left with a case that is custom fit to your instrument.

Otherwise, you can keep your eyes peeled for an OEM case on the used market; remember: you want the case with the ridges on the top.
52A7C994-3BDE-45A0-9845-41DD950797A1.jpeg
B37189ED-51B5-41E4-9D85-7A19894B4CFD.jpeg
jb63
Forum Veteran

Post by jb63 »

I'm a fan of the original Nitefly soft cases. Keep your eye to for one of those!
just plain lost
Mr303
Forum Veteran

Post by Mr303 »

What ever fits that’s what I say.
I use an old Ibanez Roadstar case I found in mint condition at the thrift store.
Nobody expects a Parker to be inside. 8-)
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Mr303 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:24 pm Nobody expects a Parker to be inside. 8-)
“Is that a gun?” V.J. is asked regularly as he boards the Path train to Washington Square Park with his trusty Fly in case. 😑
Mr303
Forum Veteran

Post by Mr303 »

vjmanzo wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:37 pm
“Is that a gun?” V.J. is asked regularly as he boards the Path train to Washington Square Park with his trusty Fly in case. 😑
That is such a cliche’ to think anyone would carry a gun in a guitar or violin case.
How dumb do people have to be to think that sort of thing?
Although the movie “El Marriachi” has a wickedly themed guitar gunman and he’s loaded for any rowdy stage rushing crowd control.
Ole’!

I have a Hofner shorty guitar and people think it’s a shotgun case but I tell them it is my axe for the Stihl timber sports series and they calm down.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Haha absolutely! Love that movie!

Actually, regarding cases for the NiteFly, that reminds me: you can actually find gun cases in a variety of sizes and styles for not a lot of money. I was looking for a guitar case for a lap steel and ended up buying a gun case and cutting out some of the foam.
Notes_Norton
DragonFly Veteran

Post by Notes_Norton »

vjmanzo wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:41 am Haha absolutely! Love that movie!

Actually, regarding cases for the NiteFly, that reminds me: you can actually find gun cases in a variety of sizes and styles for not a lot of money. I was looking for a guitar case for a lap steel and ended up buying a gun case and cutting out some of the foam.
I bet that makes you get attention at the airport :D
Bob "Notes" Norton
Norton Music: http://www.nortonmusic.com Band-in-a-Box power user style software
Also The Sophisticats: http://www.s-cats.com
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

:lol:
jb63
Forum Veteran

Post by jb63 »

just plain lost
drssyoon

Post by drssyoon »

Missed it! Didn't show up on my feed.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

A while back, I contacted Hiscox about buying these cases (unbranded), which once shipped with the Fly: https://www.hiscoxcases.com/collections ... uitar-case

They definitely sell them and would ship them internationally, but, if you’re in the States (like me), you’d pay import fees. I don’t know any way around that, unfortunately.
lerxst6

Post by lerxst6 »

I used to fly frequently with a Steinberger (I traveled a lot and had an old P series). “Oar” shaped and soft case - definitely looked like a gun case. Pretty frequently got pulled out of security for the swabbing and opening.

:D

vjmanzo wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:37 pm
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

:lol: