Fishman Fluence to pre-refined fly classic

General musical discussions that don't fall under other categories.
iroc07

Fishman Fluence to pre-refined fly classic

Post by iroc07 »

I searched but could not find any mention of anyone putting a set of fishman fluence pickups into a fly.... Is this because they are slightly thicker than the originals? They are .89" from the bottom of the mounting flange, to the top. Or because there is some issue wiring them up into the parkers electronics? or both? lol.

I have 6 parkers/flys (2 classics, a deluxe, and 2 single cuts, and a bass)

Would really love to get the fishmans in there so any help or advise would be mucho appreciated.

Thanks!!!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Fishman Fluence to pre-refined fly classic

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @iroc07; Fluence Pickups are a very innovative concept! They print the coil around a PCB instead of using wire; very cool especially in terms of replicability.

I think the issue with putting them in a Fly is mounting them through the polepiece/threaded-insert approach. Not impossible though!!
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

+1 to VJ's post.

Being as the Singlecuts, NiteFly, Adam D, Vernon Reid and PDF guitars use standard pickup routes and mounting rings, Fluences shouldn't be an issue to install. The Fly classics and deluxe are a different story.

You can fit whatever pickups you want in a Fly, provided you're willing to rout out the front of the guitar and raise the strings an inch off the fretboard if they're thicker than the factory pickups. Otherwise, you'll need to modify the pickups themselves to fit in the routes (best of luck trimming the bottom PCB or removing the epoxied cover that's on most of the Fluences) and then mount them with a double-sided adhesive or other workaround; being as they can't utilize the design of polepiece screws and threaded inserts under the A and B strings.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
iroc07

Post by iroc07 »

So its the physical limitations that make it difficult in a classic or deluxe, but the wiring(adding power and not screwing up the piezo or the blending capability) is doable.

I can add threaded inserts into the body. I just didnt know if there was enough room to route out the body especially in the neck position where it is so thin.

Maybe for the deluxe I have I should stick to the seymour option, and put the fluences into the singlecut.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Yes, the body thickness at the neck pickup pocket is quite thin and doesn’t leave much to work with in terms of routing.

Before you go down this road, I will just mention that Dimarzio will wind any of their pickups with the Fly baseplate. Also, you can buy a Fly pickup and have Duncan or just about any other pickup company wins their pickup using that baseplate. This is a much more reliable and reversible approach, but, of course: who doesn’t love a good guitar mod project :lol:
jb63
Forum Veteran

Post by jb63 »

always, Always, ALWAYS! seek to modify the pickup before the routing on the fly guitar!
Its easier and I have always returned home to loving the 2nd gen dimarzios.
So don't throw 'em out when you take them out.

If you buy direct from fishman, you might see if they would custom-build one for your fly. Even if its $500, Id say its worth it.
just plain lost
iroc07

Post by iroc07 »

jb63 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:01 am

If you buy direct from fishman, you might see if they would custom-build one for your fly. Even if its $500, Id say its worth it.
I do have a friend that knows Larry Fishman in a professional sense. Maybe I could ask if that is something they would consider.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

I called Fishman to try the custom approach. It was a no go. But then I don’t have a line to Larry!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Patzag wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:08 am I called Fishman to try the custom approach. It was a no go. But then I don’t have a line to Larry!
Side note to self: start a new band called “Line to Larry” :lol:
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

A bump to amend this sentiment:
mmmguitar wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:28 pm You can fit whatever pickups you want in a Fly, provided you're willing to rout out the front of the guitar and raise the strings an inch off the fretboard if they're thicker than the factory pickups.
Fly bodies of all eras are thick enough that Fluences, thick magnet Dimarzios/Bareknuckles, etc., can indeed be installed. But this requires removing the pickup routs' threaded inserts/bosses (which can be a pain to remove because they're installed with the intent to be permanent), deepening the pickup routs, as well as adding routs for the "untrimmable" mounting tabs of transducer designs such as Lace Alumitones (in which the tabs and casing are part of the coil) or many actives in which the tabs are part of the covers; and filled with epoxy.

In short: So long as the pickups aren't much taller than a Sustainiac driver (which is taller than most), they can be put in your Fly. But the trick is in
1. finding someone crazy enough to do it, and
2. being stuck with whatever you ended up doing, knowing you may not love the result.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Great followup, Marc! Thanks for the added clarity on this 👍🏻

Regarding “finding someone crazy enough to do it”, I’ll just mention that Patrick Cummings of Brian Moore guitars (http://iguitarworkshop.com) installed a Sustainiac driver in one of my Flys and he did a fantastic job (additional routing and all). He’s a very friendly and talented guy and definitely “crazy” enough to take on a challenge. 😉
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

I should be more reserved in dispensing ad hominems: "Crazy" as in "has you sign a liability waiver concerning permanently modifying the appearance and function of this irreplaceable guitar." I'm crazy that way, too. If Patrick (or anyone) ever installs a set of Fluences in a Fly, I hope we hear about it.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

I think @billy installed a set of Lace Alumitones in a Fly…tight squeeze for sure! IIR, he did make deeper routes for the “untrimmable tabs”.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

vjmanzo wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:45 am I think @billy installed a set of Lace Alumitones in a Fly
I recall a thread from the old board in which the Lace brothers were reached out to concerning Fly-specific Alumitones, and they either declined or didn’t respond at all. I’d be curious to know if an installation preceded or followed that.
billy
Forum Veteran

Post by billy »

There is room for taller pups at the bridge but as mentioned you have to go deeper. I also put evos in my mojo TOM rebuild.

The neck is very tricky, especially in the top corner of the bass side. I do not recommend it.

The thicknesses vary from guitar to guitar based on how much sanding each needed after cnc. If you have a single cut with rings, that would be best for sure.
Billy

Spruce spruce and CF forever...
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Bump. Just got a guitar with Fluence pickups. I now see why one would want to marry a set with a Fly; and will bump the thread if I end up doing it down the line (I intended to put Sustainiacs in each of my Flys - but may now err on the side of variety).