2000 Pre-Refined Trem arm falls out

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
Bammbamm

2000 Pre-Refined Trem arm falls out

Post by Bammbamm »

Hey all, I just discovered this forum and am VERY excited to be a part of it.
I have a 2000 Fly Deluxe that has the old Hex style trem arm and when playing live, the bar falls out routinely.
What is the best remedy for this?

Thanks!

Bammbamm

jb63
Forum Veteran

Re: 2000 Pre-Refined Trem arm falls out

Post by jb63 »

Look for an alan wrench that fits the tiny hole next to the high E string. There should be a set screw in there that will tighten up and hold the vibrato bar tighter.

Be careful, though! That's a sure way to scratch the paint or take a chip out of the pretty part of your fly!
just plain lost
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Vibrato arm falls out or is loose

Post by vjmanzo »

Bammbamm wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:34 pm Hey all, I just discovered this forum and am VERY excited to be a part of it.
Hi @Bammbamm, welcome! Glad you’re here!

Yes, @jb63’s advice is right on; if for whatever reason you’re missing that set screw, I believe we have the correct replacement screw linked from the Anatomy of a Fly page.

#VibratoBridge
Bammbamm

Post by Bammbamm »

The screw seems to keep the bar from rotating, but not from coming out of the socket?
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

It’s possible that the screw has been stripped by overtightening it against the vibrato arm bushing and then pulling the vibrato arm out with the screw still tight.

Can you remove the screw and take a look to see if it looks like there’s been grinding against the front of it?
jb63
Forum Veteran

Post by jb63 »

You can also take out the arm and carefully screw in the screw forward. (yes, I just typed that sentence)
then you can look with a flashlight at the tip for damage. Be sure not to screw it in too far! Just trying to avoid taking it out altogether!
just plain lost
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

The screw is not intended to keep in the arm in place. It was never intended to do that. It is there to increase or decrease the tension on the bushing and allow it to rotate freely or not.
The actual correct, if slightly difficult to master, technique to keep the arm in place is to bend the part that inserts ever so slightly. Friction is what keeps the arm in place.
And that's why this particular metal was chosen.
Bammbamm

Post by Bammbamm »

Good info. I figured that was the case.
I will see what I can do to add some friction to the existing arm.
Thanks!
rsdio

Post by rsdio »

Patzag wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:59 pm The screw is not intended to keep in the arm in place. It was never intended to do that. It is there to increase or decrease the tension on the bushing and allow it to rotate freely or not.
The actual correct, if slightly difficult to master, technique to keep the arm in place is to bend the part that inserts ever so slightly. Friction is what keeps the arm in place.
And that's why this particular metal was chosen.
You're right. The Handbook explains this on page 24, so check for the PDF copies elsewhere on this site.
Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Supreme '98