NiteFly NiteMix External Fishman Piezo Preamp

Discussions of the NiteFly NFV1-8, NFV-M, and NFV-SA models
vjmanzo
Site Admin

NiteFly NiteMix External Fishman Piezo Preamp

Post by vjmanzo »

For those who may not have seen one of these in the wild, this is the external piezo pre-amp that shipped with the original NiteFly models that had a passive Fishman powerchip:
Parker_Nitemix.jpg
As per the NiteFly History document Parker Guitars released, the NiteFly 1 and NiteFly 2 models utilized the NiteMix (about the same size as a guitar stompbox pedal) as the piezo pre-amp:
NiteFly_info.jpg

The NiteMix devices are not common, but a thread noting comparable modern replacements exists here.
Mr303
Forum Veteran

Re: NiteFly NiteMix External Fishman Piezo Preamp

Post by Mr303 »

vjmanzo wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:46 pm For those who may not have seen one of these in the wild, this is the external piezo pre-amp that shipped with the original NiteFly models that had a passive Fishman powerchip:
Parker_Nitemix.jpg

As per the NiteFly History document Parker Guitars released, the NiteFly 1 and NiteFly 2 models utilized the NiteMix (about the same size as a guitar stompbox pedal) as the piezo pre-amp:
NiteFly_info.jpg
VJ?
Where do you come up with these cool toys and trivia?
This is nothing I’ve ever heard of nor expected.
Much nicer to have it all on-board rather than as another loose piece of equipment.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Mr303 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:10 am Where do you come up with these cool toys and trivia?
Hahaha well, admittedly, I’m obsessed with Parker guitars; how they play/sound, how they’re made, and the history. Up until recently, you could piece together some sense of the Parker Guitars history from the official site and forum, so, since those are gone, I don’t want the information to be completely lost or hard to find! Also, @Ken Parker and @Terry Atkins are both members of this site, so, if I get any information wrong, they can chime in and correct me!
Mr303 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:10 am Much nicer to have it all on-board rather than as another loose piece of equipment.
I agree! However, you do save a little bit of weight by having the piezo preamp and the 9-volt battery as outboard components; lightness was, of course, part of the Parker Guitars philosophy back then. The NiteFly is, naturally, heavier than a Fly, so I think that was part of the motivation for a passive piezo system for the first two NiteFly models.
rolandotabora

Post by rolandotabora »

Anybody's got the Schematic for the NiteMix?
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @rolandotabora; I don’t have it, but, in principle, it functions similarly to the internal Fishman preamp that was installed in the NFV3+.

Are you looking for a NiteMix specifically or just looking for the functionality?
andre_cocos

Post by andre_cocos »

I actually bought a NiteFly NFV-2 but struggle to find a way to use a piezo tone. I searched for an analog of NiteMix External Fishman Piezo Preamp, but there are no options available.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @andre_cocos,

The NiteMix is a preamp for the piezo signal, so you should be able to use a standard TRS cable to split the magnetic pickup signal from the piezo, and then route the piezo signal to a preamp.

Alternatively, you can install the Fishman powerchip in your NiteFly and get the same functionality minus the tone control, and then use an EQ pedal with an expression input.
andre_cocos

Post by andre_cocos »

Using a TRS - two mono jacks cable didn't work, I get only a magnetic signal. I'm afraid something is wrong with the guitar. Are there any diagrams on NFV-2 I can bring to a guitar tech? I searched everywhere, but can't find :( Thanks!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Maybe there are some insights at this thread?

Seems to be a similar issue.
andre_cocos

Post by andre_cocos »

@vjmanzo thanks! but my problem seems to be worse. I split the signal into two different amps but got no signal from the piezo, no matter what position I used. That's why I thought about NiteMix as a solution, but now I think that probably something is wrong with the wiring.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Gotcha—the piezo signal coming out would be very faint without a preamp. Do you feel comfortable working on the electronics or do you have a local tech that can help you assess what’s going on? Sometimes owners remove the piezo for various reasons, so it might be good to determine what is intact.

Keep us posted!
andre_cocos

Post by andre_cocos »

@vjmanzo am I right to understand, that if after Y cable on a piezo out I would put something like this: https://www.lrbaggs.com/preamps-di/sess ... tar-preamp and then send the output of a preamp to an amp or a soundcard, I would get the sound. I did all the above mentioned but got nothing but noise. As far as I've checked - the piezo system is intact.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

I don’t think that unit has a pre-amp section and that’s really just the difference between the NFV1 /NFV2 and all the other NiteFlys (which have the Fishman powerchip).

I’ll check the manual again, but, in principle, if you have a TRS cable connected, and your NiteFly switch in the right position, you should hear the magnetic pickups on the “ring” cable end. If you can hear that, then that’s a good first sign. Check the second toggle switch on your NiteFly while you do it; you’re just looking to see if any signal comes out.

If we get that going, then the piezo signal is next. You’ll probably want a pre-amp like this:

https://kksound.com/products/purepreamp.php

The main difference is that this kind of preamp is expecting a really weak unamplified signal as opposed to a stompbox pedal, which is expecting a slightly stronger signal at the “instrument level”.
DavidE

Post by DavidE »

Don’t forget the Fishman Powerblend pedal, a much larger version with a built in volume pedal for the piezo, xlr and 1/4” output for the piezo plus a few more features. I sold off my Nitemix when I got a Powerblend.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

DavidE wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:34 am Don’t forget the Fishman Powerblend pedal, a much larger version with a built in volume pedal for the piezo, xlr and 1/4” output for the piezo plus a few more features. I sold off my Nitemix when I got a Powerblend.
That’s great, @DavidE! I didn’t know about the Powerblend pedal! Looks like it does the routing with some improvements over the NiteMix!

Am I interpreting this correctly that someone with the passive NiteFly piezo would still need a preamp in the signal chain before it hits the Powerblend? Or does the Powerblend contain a preamp for the piezo signal? I’ve only taken a quick look, but I can’t see if the pedal provides added gain to the piezo signal.
InsideInfo

Post by InsideInfo »

vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Just saw that!!
InsideInfo

Post by InsideInfo »

Of course you did VJ we are both stalkers :lol:

This was up for all of 19 minutes before I bought it :)

https://reverb.com/item/37483072-parker ... usty-black
jb63
Forum Veteran

Post by jb63 »

i hate you.
just plain lost
InsideInfo

Post by InsideInfo »

Sorry man I literally search for these day and night. There has to be more reasonable sellers out there like this fine chap. I say we all boycott any parkers being sold for over 2k lol