Backplate for vibrato-equipped Fly (original)

Sources for Cloned and Replacement Fly Parts
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Backplate for vibrato-equipped Fly (original)

Post by vjmanzo »

Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 6.44.52 PM.png

See also: the Anatomy of a Fly

We are able to print these backplates in a variety of materials and colors:
Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 6.44.52 PM.png
skip

Re: Backplate for vibrato-equipped Fly (original)

Post by skip »

HI ,looking for a pre refine backplate.is there anyway you could make one with a battery box in it?its a pain to change batterys with the screws.and how much are they
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @skip; thanks for the feedback. We’re not at the place where we’re manufacturing these, but l, yes, I totally agree that a design with the battery compartment in the back is good idea.
skip

Post by skip »

please let me know when your back at your printer i need one fast
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Thanks, @skip. As I mentioned, we’re not at the phase where we have a process for making these parts available, but we will certainly make those details known when the time comes.

In the meantime, if you have an existing backplate, you can trace one onto a piece of sheet plastic or a pickguard blank with an xact-o knife. You’ll have to line up the holes manually, but you’ll be close.

FWIW—Ken originally used a hydraulic press to make these pickguards by pressing a pattern into sheets of material.
Mr303
Forum Veteran

Post by Mr303 »

Is there a preferred method to cut pick guard material?
All I ever had at my disposal was a fine tooth coping saw blade.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

I seem to recall WD Products having a tutorial on this a while back, but I can’t seem to find it. I did find a bunch of videos of people using a dremel to do the beveled edges.

A guess one benefit for us, as Fly owners, is that our backplate isn’t visible like a typical pickguard.
skip

Post by skip »

after looking at the plate you have on here ,thats the one i need anybody got one?
skip

Post by skip »

skip wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 4:19 pm after looking at the plate you have on here ,thats the one i need anybody got one?
Any body have this back plate pre refined trem back plate???
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @skip; I think your best bet for the short-term would be to contact Mike Gallenberger at Gman.music on Reverb or wiguitar on eBay to see if the plate you need is available in his stock.

Also, you can post a request with WTB (want to buy) in the subject in our Classifieds section to see if anyone has a backplate they’re looking to sell.

We’re working on a solution now to make some of these parts available, and hope to have an announcement about that soon.
skip

Post by skip »

thanks but i did try him both sites nothing
TheGrail
Forum Veteran

Re: Backplate for vibrato-equipped Fly (original) - NEW SOURCE

Post by TheGrail »

A few years ago I needed a pre-refined plate and had one of my others copied by Terrapin Guitars. You can choose color or whatever you want for material. She did a wonderful job and I told her I'd send more business her way so she kept the template. www.terrapinguitars.com
Bought my first Fly from Korg in Spring 1994 after seeing them at the NAMM show. Currently have 5 Pre-refined and 1 Mojo. I'm bigly into guitar synth and mainly use my Parkers as a controller. Two of them have all of the pickups and electronics removed, just use the hex pickup.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Thanks @TheGrail ! Excellent resource, and thanks for paving the way there!
StrumDummy1998@

Post by StrumDummy1998@ »

Hello,

Are these available yet? I recently purchased a used pre-refined fly and the backplate needs to be replaced. Thanks.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

StrumDummy1998@ wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:55 pm Hello,

Are these available yet? I recently purchased a used pre-refined fly and the backplate needs to be replaced. Thanks.
The link to terrapin guitars two posts up is probably your best bet, at the moment. I'm leaving a note to myself to write up a DIY Fly backplate guide when I next have time in (most likely) May - I'm relocating the battery rout in a refined Fly, but have four non-Fly projects ahead of that.

[Edit] For anyone attempting to cut a Fly rear cavity cover before I do: Mike has the '03-'15 covers for sale, if you don't mind covering the hole for the 9 volt case. Otherwise, just use tin snips, a stanley knife, and sandpaper to cut and form a sheet of black haircell ABS craft plastic to the perimeter of the screw holes on the rear of your guitar.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
StrumDummy1998@

Post by StrumDummy1998@ »

Okay. I did see that post re Terrapin and I did contact them. I’m new to this forum, so I appreciate your response. You wouldn’t happen to know where I could find a replacement vibrato arm for the pre-refined Fly would you? I don’t know what year mine is but it’s a early 90s fly deluxe. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

@StrumDummy1998, The only two sources currently linked on the Anatomy of a Fly resource page are the guide to making one yourself and this ebay seller who previously offered to make them to-order (contact him through ebay). Per what VJ posted in February, his lab will eventually produce batches of hex bars for sale.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory