So happy to find this community!

Show and tell! This is a place to showcase your Parker guitar! New members are encouraged to introduce themselves here.
rsdio

So happy to find this community!

Post by rsdio »

I purchased a Parker Fly Deluxe in red, only to find that the output jack had been replaced; was loose; and as a result the preamp would sometimes turn off if the guitar cord rotated.

I managed to find my favorite color example of a Parker Fly Supreme and ordered that.

While waiting for the Supreme to arrive, I managed to fix the Deluxe and get it playable.

All in all, being forced to repair my first Fly while waiting for the second to arrive, I managed to get a schematic from Fishman and learn quite a bit about these guitars. I hope to be able to repair them now, if there is anyone in the Seattle area with a Fly in need of some care.
Attachments
20200526-4318.jpg
Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Supreme '98
Mr303
Forum Veteran

Re: So happy to find this community!

Post by Mr303 »

Welcome
This is the place to be.
Sounds like quite the experience so far.
Have fun with the best guitars ever made.
Cheers!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Welcome @rsdio! These look great!!

Thanks for offering your expertise to folks in then Seattle area; definitely good to know!
rsdio

Post by rsdio »

Before buying my second Fly, the transparent tangerine Supreme, I managed to find the previous auction where the seller had purchased the guitar a little over a month before. The text from that February 29, 2020 to March 1, 2020 eBay listing was as follows (I edited out the standard Parker Fly text taken from online):

1998 Parker Fly Supreme - Custom Build - Signed by Ken Parker and Larry Fishman
This Parker Fly Supreme is used but in like new condition, a time capsule piece. It was custom built for it's original owner by Ken Parker and Larry Fishman in 1998. This guitar is literally the only one of it's kind. 
• One piece flame maple body
• Jumbo stainless steel frets
• Trans-tangerine finish (custom color)
• Signed by Ken Parker and Larry Fishman (President, Parker Guitars)
• Custom made DiMarzio humbucking pickups
• Built in original Parker factory in Wilmington, Massachusetts
• Parker molded hardshell case with all case candy
[...]
~~~~~~~~~~
I have emails from Ken Parker in 2016 confirming the authenticity of this signature guitar, and stating that there were probably less than 5 guitars made that were signed by both him and Larry, and this is likely the only Parker Fly Supreme that has both signatures.
This is a time capsule, and a survivor from any modifications, and there are no marks anywhere on this guitar.
Clearly, this is a highly collectable guitar.
Original Gen1 DeMarzio pickups, unmolested and unmodified guitar including original case and case candy.
Ken Parker sold the company to US Music in 2003 after realizing that he could not sell these $10,000 guitars for more than half of their value. Ken is now making $30,000 jazz guitars and living his dream. His jazz guitars are worth the price he is asking. Ken is probably the Antonio Stradivari of the 20th century for his unique creation (the Parker Fly).
The pre-2003 Parker Fly guitars were essentially hand made after the blanks came off the CNC mill. The fine workmanship of Ken Parker can ONLY be found in these pre US Music made guitars who was making these guitars overseas. Jam Industries purchased the Parker Guitar rights in 2009, making the guitars in Asia. Parker Guitars is now defunct, in 2016 the factory closed down, and they no longer exist. One thing is for certain, these guitars will never be made again by Ken Parker himself.
Don't be confused, this guitar was what could be considered a "custom shop" guitar by Ken and Larry, and they both signed it.
This is probably a $20,000 guitar, and I'm asking a fraction of that cost. Imagine finding a mint Mosrite guitar, or a mint Broadcaster or Nocaster. Those guitars in only good condition are selling for as much as 6 digits.
Invest at your own risk, but at this price, you can buy this guitar and play it if you wanted and know that you did not overpay for it.
The guitar is perfect, the case was stored under the bed and has the expected scuffs on the outside of the case. Otherwise, the guitar is not marked anywhere.
Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Supreme '98
jb63
Forum Veteran

Post by jb63 »

I'm glad somebody bought that one, especially someone who will play it!
just plain lost
hapsong

Post by hapsong »

ahh yes, that Supreme is sweet .. congrats!
2004 Fly Mojo Natural, 2008 Fly Artist Butterscotch, www.gregmatses.com