SD pickup thread screw info

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
Piplodocus
Forum Veteran

SD pickup thread screw info

Post by Piplodocus »

Hi all,

I'm currently attempting to build up as close to a complete MaxxFly as I can out of random parts I have. (Wish me luck!) It's gonna get the Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz I have spare out my 2004 Fly Mojo. Anyone know exactly what thread the brass inserts are that the pickup pole pieces mount into?

I guess I need to know diameter, and thread pitch. Also these are Seymour Duncans so don't want to go with the DiMarzio thread sizes unless I know they're the same. Maybe if you know that though and I can't find any other info it'd be worth risking the money on ordering a few to try.

I've found hints they may be 5-40 UNC in my phone notes, but really not that sure that's definitely the size as the note is very vague what it's talking about, I just know it's guitar related. Would they be UNC? My brain would have said maybe UNF, but I honestly know very little about imperial screws/threads. There's not many imperial nuts about here in the UK these days to try screwing on to test it, as it's all metric these days.

Thanks!
2004 Blue Fly Mojo Flame (MH/MH), Distressed Red 2000 NiteFly M (MH/MH), 2000 MIDIFly (MH/MH), 2000 NiteFly SA (SA/MH), 2007 Southern NiteFly (SA/Maple), 2014 Fly Mojo Flame (with neck issues), rather tatty 1997 Nitefly NFV1 (Maple/Basswood).
Piplodocus
Forum Veteran

Re: SD pickup thread screw info

Post by Piplodocus »

I’m now reasonably convinced they’re a 5-40 UNC thread. Can I find any suitable brass inserts though? Nope. Anyone know where I could get some? Or selling genuine Parker ones? Else I think I’d have to get some custom machined.
2004 Blue Fly Mojo Flame (MH/MH), Distressed Red 2000 NiteFly M (MH/MH), 2000 MIDIFly (MH/MH), 2000 NiteFly SA (SA/MH), 2007 Southern NiteFly (SA/Maple), 2014 Fly Mojo Flame (with neck issues), rather tatty 1997 Nitefly NFV1 (Maple/Basswood).
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Piplodocus wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am I’m now reasonably convinced they’re a 5-40 UNC thread.
@billy and I went looking for 5-40 when we were compiling an early version of the Parts list, but ultimately concluded that you’d have to go with a different size and then modify it. 😕 Then I found this one, which is linked from that page.
Piplodocus
Forum Veteran

Post by Piplodocus »

I looked at a very similar one and made the presumption these "spring" types (which are the only correct size types I found) would probably be to narrow an outer diameter to fit in the holes already there. Maybe I've been too hasty though and should actually measure stuff!
billy
Forum Veteran

Post by billy »

Heard my name…

The screws are 5-40. Where the first number indicates a diameter and the second number is how many threads per inch aka “pitch”.

I’ve never found a 5-40 threaded insert. I imagine these were custom made probably in batches of 1000.

I bought these 4-40 inserts

amazon.com/Z-Threaded-Insert-Internal-Threads/dp/B00270ZSIU/

and then modified them by drilling out the center hole to match the “5” minor diameter, and then used a 5-40 tap to update the threads.

This works because the pitch is the same between 4-40 and 5-40.

Unfortunately I don’t have any left or I’d send you some.

If you want to buy some from Amazon and send me 10, I’ll mod them and send back to you.

Simple enough to do for most people if you have done any drilling or tapping. Easy to break a tap if you haven’t done it.
Billy

Spruce spruce and CF forever...
Piplodocus
Forum Veteran

Post by Piplodocus »

Cheers! :)