Can you identify this mystery Parker Fly guitar player (circa 1993 - 1996)?

post videos and audio of you performing or discussing anything and everything related to the Fly, NiteFly, Fly Bass, mods, or something "cloned"
personofdistraction

Can you identify this mystery Parker Fly guitar player (circa 1993 - 1996)?

Post by personofdistraction »

This is a weird question, and if it doesn't belong in this section, I'm happy to move it to general or repost it. I'm trying to help identify a mystery music video - unfortunately, we only have 2 seconds of this video - but what we do know is:

1. The guitar player in this video is playing a black Parker Fly guitar.
2. The video aired on Canada's New Country Network ("NCN"), which was only on air from 1995 - 1996.
a. Despite the name of the network, it did play both non-country songs and non-Canadian songs.
b. We suspect this video may have been recorded in February 1996.

All conventional methods (Google, Reddit, Facebook, lyric searches, etc) have failed. Reaching out to people at NCN at the time produced three separate "no idea who this is" responses.

If my understanding is correct, the Parker Fly was first produced in 1993 - I don't know how many were in circulation by 1996, but if anyone here had any ideas, that could be useful. But most of all, if you have any ideas - even suggestions - of who this guitar player is, you'll help solve a 2+ year old mystery with hundreds of people searching for it!

Here's the video in question:
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Re: Can you identify this mystery Parker Fly guitar player (circa 1993 - 1996)?

Post by mmmguitar »

The white nut suggests he's playing a '93 Fly.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
personofdistraction

Thank you so much! I'll keep looking for this mystery guitarist. The search for this 'lost' song is growing quite rapidly, so we hope to solve it soon.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

personofdistraction wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:24 pm Thank you so much! I'll keep looking for this mystery guitarist. The search for this 'lost' song is growing quite rapidly, so we hope to solve it soon.
I wish I could be more helpful. I looked through whatever promotional materials for the brand between '94 and '96 Google turned up; and didn't find this guitarist among any of the highlighted artists. I just hope someone doesn't write a lame SCP entry in which he's a cryptid in suspenders.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
personofdistraction

Huge update - we solved our mystery!

The lostwave community has officially identified the song/artist from our mystery video! Oddly enough, Chris Murphy of the band Sloan mentioned via Twitter/X that this sounded like... Well, by the band that this belongs to:

"Just Passin' By" by Big Picture.

Here's the video in question:

The guitarists name is Asif Ilyas, and he has reported that he (sadly) no longer has the 93 Fly seen in this video.

Thanks for your help in this!