My Fly Classic needs repairs, and I need help

Have something Parker-related to sell? Post about it here. Three things you need to know:
1. This area is for Parker Guitars and related accessories only
2. Post a clear asking price
3. This site assumes no responsibility in these transactions
Sholoosah

My Fly Classic needs repairs, and I need help

Post by Sholoosah »

Hello!

I have a 1998 Parker Fly Classic (in red, not sure what the name of the color is anymore), including all original parts and the hard case. I also still have the hex tremolo and the extra 10 spring (it came with the 9 spring installed).

I haven't played it in about 20 years because the 2nd fret fell off, and at the time, no one seemed to be able to fix it. I was looking online recently, and it seems that that's no longer the case?

The piezo is also a little wonky. I was planning on taking it into a guitar store in NYC (Rudy's), as they claim to be able to handle these repairs. I'm a little worried about someone messing up the internal electronics and the fretboard, but seeing as this has just taken up space in my limited closet space for over 10 years, I figured it's worth a shot. Should I be worried about the guitar tech taking a crack at fixing it? If yes, where would you suggest I take the fly to get it repaired?

If it is fixable, I was planning on selling it (I no longer play electric guitar). Any advice on where I should try to sell it? I'd like to get a significant chunk of money for it (I want to buy a Selmer-style guitar), but I also would like to sell it to someone who will play it and take care of it, rather than resell it or whatever.

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: My Fly Classic needs repairs, and I need help

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @Sholoosah—are you in the NYC area? Also, do you still have the fret that fell off?
Sholoosah

Post by Sholoosah »

Yes and yes!

I can snap pics of the case and guitar and internal stuff if that helps.
Sholoosah

Post by Sholoosah »

Here are some snaps:
PXL_20240214_140906375.jpg
PXL_20240214_140916148.jpg
PXL_20240214_140808856.jpg
[
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Thanks for these, @Sholoosah. I have no personal experience with the tech work at Rudy's, but they seem to pretty highly regarded—depending on who the technician is, they may know @Ken Parker. That being said, Ken has described the process here, so you can print that and give it to the tech when you bring in your Fly. Ken is also preparing a "riff" on Fly fret repair as part of his video series Archtoppery, so perhaps that will be ready by the time your Fly is on the bench.
Sholoosah

Post by Sholoosah »

Thanks @vjmanzo !

I guess I'll hoof it to Rudy's this weekend. If they have anything interesting to say/the guitar is fixable and sellable, I'll update here.
Sholoosah

Post by Sholoosah »

Small update: Got it back from Rudy's, the tech said it's in "great" condition, aside from the fact the acoustic preamp has deteriorated.

All the piezos are still functional, apparently.

I've https://reverb.com/item/81350393-parker ... re-refined listed it on Reverb since Rudy's wasn't interested in taking it on consignment.

Tried to be as up front as possible in the listing about its condition, too.

Again, thank you for your help!