Output Jack Replacement

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
radguitar

Output Jack Replacement

Post by radguitar »

Hey I noticed the output jack on my 94 Fly Deluxe is a bit loose, it's so loose that my cable falls out sometimes. I think soldering in a new jack might be something easy enough for me to handle, is there a brand of output jack that I can buy that is similar in size to the original jack that these guitars came with from the factory?
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Re: Output Jack Replacement

Post by mmmguitar »

radguitar wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:28 pm Hey I noticed the output jack on my 94 Fly Deluxe is a bit loose, it's so loose that my cable falls out sometimes. I think soldering in a new jack might be something easy enough for me to handle, is there a brand of output jack that I can buy that is similar in size to the original jack that these guitars came with from the factory?
The first few years of Flys utilized modified Switchcraft stereo barrel jacks which had switches added to them. The store Flippin' Guitars sells reproductions they've fabricated.

However, at $90 after shipping for a single jack, you'll likely want to try this first:
Patzag wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:16 pm the "loose plug" syndrome is often due to the jack not sticking out enough. You have to open the back plate and adjust the sleeve on the jack so that the plug goes in all the way. If the retaining bolt is too far outward, the sleeve won't go in all the way and the plug won't click fully.

Check it out. Much easier than replacing the entire jack.
There's a bit more info in this thread, including how to tighten the jack without the proprietary tool Ken made for it.

And just to embarrass you: I'm still hoping for photos of that guitar! I haven't forgotten!

#JackIssues
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
radguitar

Re: Output Jack Replacement

Post by radguitar »

mmmguitar wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:16 pm There's a bit more info in this thread, including how to tighten the jack without the proprietary tool Ken made for it.
Oh wow I see vjmanzo was making a jack tightening tool? I'd definitely buy one! But for now I suppose I'll have to figure out a way to tighten the jack, I guess the idea is turning the black colored outside/exterior portion of the jack while keeping the actual silver colored barrel jack still with your other hand? Interesting, I might give that a shot. Thanks so much for the info!
mmmguitar wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:28 pm And just to embarrass you: I'm still hoping for photos of that guitar! I haven't forgotten!
Haha I'm sorry! I know I'm a jerk in that regard, I apologize. I'll try to get some photos taken and post them sometime!