Bridge refinish

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Bridge refinish

Post by Patzag »

My right hand rests on the bridge of my guitar while I play. After years of playing, the bridge has lost some of it's black anodizing and appears gray in spots.
I want to refinish it or at least darken the gray areas.

Any one here use this?

mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Re: Bridge refinish

Post by mmmguitar »

+1 to Pat's request. And in case it's more than just my browser extensions preventing it from being displayed: Here's the Amazon product he linked to. Based on the reviews, the product seems to be strictly for chemically dying fresh-cut, non-oxidized aluminum. Weren't the Fly bridges finished in a manner similar to powder-coating, but different due to the aluminum used? I'm afraid I don't recall the details. I know this matter was previously discussed on the old board; and hope someone remembers what the compromise ended up being when restoring the finish.

Edit: Gary (RIP) sanded down the worn spots on his bridge and refinished with matte black Duracoat gun finish:

viewtopic.php?p=4981#p4981
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
chrisandrews

Post by chrisandrews »

I've repainted a few Parker bridges. They seem to be painted rather than anodised/Electro coated.

A dusting of etch primer, black base and satin topcoat will suffice. 2k topcoat is harder wearing

Hope that helps

Insta: @_the. captain_
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

chrisandrews wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:35 pm A dusting if etch primer,
Thank you!
What does the above mean?
syncopa
Forum Veteran

Post by syncopa »

Patzag wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:06 pm
chrisandrews wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:35 pm A dusting if etch primer,
Thank you!
What does the above mean?
Here you go Pat

What does an etch primer do?
Etch Primers are single pack metal primers formulated with a combination of resins to maximise adhesion to the various metal surfaces on which they may be used. A low level of phosphoric acid is present in these primers to etch the metal surface and improve adhesion.
1998 Classic, 2003 FB-4, 2006 P6EB, 2010 NAMM Show DragonFly DFR522