What colour would this be?

General musical discussions that don't fall under other categories.
colliderman

What colour would this be?

Post by colliderman »

I just came across this photo randomly in Google images from an old ebay ad. Can't seem to view the actual ad and the photo resolution is low, but I love the finish on this Fly. Anyone know what this finish was called?
Fly cool colour.jpeg
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Fly Deluxe with mahogany neck

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @colliderman—it’s from this listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/235230973953?m ... media=COPY

…and I believe they called it Galaxy Gray—we’d have to check the last two catalogs. As @mmmguitar noted in this post of the “What’s this worth” thread, this was a late-era Fly and has a unique configuration of woods—mahogany neck and poplar body—so it’s called a Fly Deluxe, but it’s clearly got a lot of Fly Mojo influence.

From Marc’s post…
mmmguitar wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:53 pm A bit of trivia to do with the last year or two of production is that someone's brainstorm was to make mahogany the default neck wood for Flys, rather than basswood. I've always found this puzzling; given all Parker production in the Washburn US Custom Shop had shifted to a "build to order" model in which buyers were free to request whichever neck wood they wanted for a build.

The Deluxe essentially became a poplar-bodied Mojo ("MP" designation on headstock) - but with the Seymour Duncan pickups being wound to Gen 2 Dimarzio spec (including the ceramic magnets), rather than the Mojo's JB/Jazz pairing. Also note that, unlike many of the listings we see, this one is technically depreciated from the $4,099 MAP that Deluxe, Mojo, and DF824/42 models were being sold for until the brand was shelved.

#WoodTypes
colliderman

Re: What colour would this be?

Post by colliderman »

Oh wow, I thought this was an old listing! Ugh, another :facepalm: as I just realized ebay hasn't been showing me certain Parker listings because I had my shipping address set to Canada, even though I was searching ebay.com

I thought it might be Galaxy Grey but this one seemed to have a burst finish to it which looked different than other Galaxy Grey listings. Must just be the reflections giving off that appearance. I do really like that finish though.

Thanks for pointing out the ad!
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Yeah, this almost has a good look to it in the photos—I agree that it’s really cool!

I’m really curious what this one sounds like—I’ve been looking at it for a while now 😬
Soloaxer
Forum Veteran

Post by Soloaxer »

This color is a headscratcher. Part of the problem is the photographic quality and the lighting. I can never get my '06 Mojo Italian Plum to show right in a picture and this one, with gold highlight and what looks like larger size metal flake instead of predominant grey with the typical smaller flakes, takes me back in time. I was very close friends with Dick Dale and he always had his Aztec Gold Strat out at home. It's the size of the flakes that haunt me and also there was an antique look to his color. Launching off of mmmguitar's note that the last years were custom shop orders, This just might be a special order with that Fender color. Stranger things have happened.

I just looked at the Fender website and their new Aztec Gold is bright with small metalflake. Do they mod their colors over time? I would have bet on it but I'm not the pro on this one.

I just saw a Parker Hornet on Reverb in "Gold", made in Korea. This color looks really close but no other paint spec is noted.
!Attitude Determines Altitude!
marvin
Forum Veteran

Post by marvin »

It looks like Galaxy Grey which is House of Kolor BC03