Fly Mojo 2004 (my first fly !)

Show and tell! This is a place to showcase your Parker guitar! New members are encouraged to introduce themselves here.
adelrune

Fly Mojo 2004 (my first fly !)

Post by adelrune »

Hi !

I recently bought the fly that has been refered to as the " natural '04 Mojo with piezo issues " in the "What's this worth" thread. I bought it for about 1800$us which I think is not a bad price ?

I played a pm20 pro as my main guitar for nearly 10 years and even that comparatively low end guitar was good enough to make pretty much every other guitar I tried feel inferior to it. I though a fly was probably an acceptable upgrade path from it and I was right ! It is very light and plays extremely well. When I tried it it had not been adjusted for probably more than two years but the action was low without buzzing and the intonation is perfect over the whole range of the instrument which is impressive considering the climate variations we experience here in Québec.

The piezo doesn't work but according to the seller its just a matter of resoldering stuff, the previous owner didn't like to have to put 9v batteries in it. There are also some dings on the finish and the finish has peeled from the body around the neck and near the bridge.

I'm considering having it refinished since I'm not a fan of the glittery bronze paint on the back. I like the natural wood finish but I don't know how feasable it would be to redo the finish and correct the dings.

Does anyone have any experience with refinishing a "natural" parker ? Is the wood underneath the finish stained or is it a tint in the clear coat over it ? Should I just forget about the natural wood and just go with a solid color to be safer ?

Anyhow, I'm very happy with the instruments, even with the flaws it still plays and sound great !