Piezo heard with 3-pos switch in mag only position

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
DownRight

Piezo heard with 3-pos switch in mag only position

Post by DownRight »

Hello all,

I was hoping you could share your thoughts with me about something that I recently noticed with my 2003 Mojo.

Code: Select all

Settings:
Mag volume = 0
Piezo volume = 10
Mag/Piezo 3-way = Piezo only
With the above settings, the piezo is (faintly) heard. If I reverse the above (mag=10, piezo=0, mag/piezo=mag only) everything works as expected and no sound is heard.

I assume the 3-way is at fault... are these somewhat adjustable by bending the contacts in the various positions?
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Re: Piezo heard with 3-pos switch in mag only position

Post by mmmguitar »

DownRight wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:34 pm I assume the 3-way is at fault... are these somewhat adjustable by bending the contacts in the various positions?
Yes. I’m afraid this is a somewhat common issue from 2003-onward; due to the factory making their on/off/on mag/mix/piezo switches by bending the leaf contacts of the 3 way switches they were using for the mag pickups. You’re welcome to try bending and cleaning the switch contacts to see if replacing the switch is unnecessary. I’ve had the push/pull tone pot fall apart on me, as well.

Here’s an article which goes into more detail.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
DownRight

Re: Piezo heard with 3-pos switch in mag only position

Post by DownRight »

Thanks for the reply @mmmguitar. Makes sense, and honestly, I can probably live with it as is since it's pretty subtle. The next time I have it apart I'll take a closer look and see if I can spot the culprit.