Hunt for a fly to mod (WTB, US West Coast)

Have something Parker-related to sell? Post about it here. Three things you need to know:
1. This area is for Parker Guitars and related accessories only
2. Post a clear asking price
3. This site assumes no responsibility in these transactions
Augustonian

Hunt for a fly to mod (WTB, US West Coast)

Post by Augustonian »

Hey guys,

A few years ago I picked up a basically perfect green pre-refined fly which I had lusted for since I began playing guitar. My loved ones have already been informed that my guitar should be cast in acrylic and enshrined with me when I die.

However, I want to add a sustainer and midi to a fly (yes, difficult I know; I talked to Dayn about it a bit.) So instead of taking a very nice fly and tearing it apart, I'd like to buy something a bit less perfect and make it what I want.

As a grad student, Reverb seems a bit inflated (and some sellers are convinced a collapsed trem spring implies perfect functionality) so I figured it would be worth asking you guys.

I would prefer a pre-refined, as started from the low weight will help it stay reasonable as I fill the cavity. Refined would be fine too though.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Re: Hunt for a fly to mod (WTB, US West Coast)

Post by mmmguitar »

I'll keep an eye out for a decent beater, @Augustonian. I don't know what your budget is - but I periodically see '90s Flys exhibiting nothing worse than body chips pop up for under $2,500 (such as this '95 emerald Deluxe), and sometimes under $2k.

The ones which pop up for under $2k don't stay up for long unless they're an obvious refinish or have dealbreaker issues such as missing frets, delaminating CF, etc. So your best deal will likely be found through checking the four following links compulsively, each day:

Reverb

eBay

Guitar Center

Craigslist

Sites such as FB Marketplace will of course be specific to your region.

Do you have a particular 13 pin (or other MIDI-capable) setup in mind? I ask because Fly listings with external GK-2A and GK-3 pickups installed have been more common, as of late.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Augustonian

Post by Augustonian »

Yeah my goal is to try to find one for less than 2.5. I'm in no rush, so I haven't jumped on that beater yet but I've got an eye on it.

For the Midi, I'd like an internal install when all is said and done, so an external midi control which hasn't been glued on is ok. I would wire it down into the body and such. Bodies which once had a GK pickup on them are great for me as well.

On similar note, I've been considering taking out the circuit board in a GK5 and using a secondary stereo jack for the newer serial cable system they have. It's an idea in it's infancy but I believe it would make for a very nice and compact internal install for a guitar which only has so much space. Saves complicating the install but increases complexity downstream.

Appreciate it! I will obsessively keep my eyes peeled. o7
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Augustonian wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:11 pm
On similar note, I've been considering taking out the circuit board in a GK5 and using a secondary stereo jack for the newer serial cable system they have.
Cool. I’ve been following the GK5 discussion on the vguitar forums since it was announced; and look forward to such projects becoming commonplace. Are you married to the 1/4” serial cable? I ask because I believe the RMC Polydrive 1 still has the smallest footprint of all the internal 13 pin kits (the hex/piezo board and jack are one assembly; freeing up the rest of the cavity for the sustainer board and mag pots/switches).
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Augustonian

Post by Augustonian »

mmmguitar wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:05 pm
RMC Polydrive 1 still has the smallest footprint of all the internal 13 pin kits (the hex/piezo board and jack are one assembly;
No, I'm definitely not attached to serial out. I haven't been super hip to the RMC stuff until I started seeing it in the Belew you bought, but it looks attractive in terms of size. Have you used these? If so, which piezo assembly did you use it with? How was it compared to other stuff you've used?

The only thing I've strongly decided on is I want to keep the master volume in the usual place. I'd like the sustainer on/off to be there as well. I also don't plan on including the mix mode for the sustainer, as I never use it.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Augustonian wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:50 pmHave you used these? If so, which piezo assembly did you use it with? How was it compared to other stuff you've used?
Are the “these” you’re referring to the GK5, the RMC stuff, or just all the general 13 pin stuff we’ve mentioned? Also: Were you intending to go with Alan Hoover’s Sustainiac, or a different sustainer?

If you’re planning on running into a Roland unit, a GK3 or 5 is going to track and generally perform the best. This is why I have a GK3 internal kit in one of my Flys, despite preferring the aesthetics of the piezo hex setup.

Any piezo-fed 13 pin system you use will require calibrating your synth’s input settings to compensate for inherent crosstalk and string volume issues; which will necessarily limit the input signal’s dynamic range (and, subsequently, the velocity number for any converted MIDI commands; if you’re using the the synth unit for that).

I’ve been using a Roland GR-55 for eleven or twelve years, now; and I have input presets for each of my 13 pin-equipped guitars (GK guitar, bass, RMC, Graph Tech, etc.). I find the overall performance (from best to worst) to be GK>RMC>Graph Tech. Again: They all work - But the Graph Tech Ghost/Hexpander setup has the highest amounts of crosstalk and signal noise; which results in the smallest dynamic range of the options once the noise suppression and input sensitivity settings of the synth have been calibrated to clean the hex signal up (otherwise, adjacent string notes are constantly mistriggering, and many consider the resultant signal noise/hiss present in COSM modeling undesirable to the point of necessitating noise suppression).

I’ve only ever used the mated saddles and hex preamps. As I explain in the review thread, I’ll likely replace my Belew’s RMC saddles with Graph Tech Ghosts, at some point; and post my thoughts.

I can say that I know the RMC saddle design has inherently less crosstalk than the Graph Tech, and the RMC preamp actually seems quieter than Roland’s. I haven’t tried the GK5 to see if its A/D converter results in less signal hiss - but I know its design doesn’t track any better or worse than the GK3; because it’s essentially a GK3 with fewer adjustable parts or control options, feeding into an onboard A/D converter.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Here is a prospect.
Nice. Guitar with a light haze in the finish.

https://garysguitars.biz/product/2007-p ... ly-deluxe/
Augustonian

Post by Augustonian »

Sorry yeah; I meant the RMC system. In the past (but some time ago) I've used a Roland ready strat from the 90s with a GR30. I really liked the set up, and it worked great for me live.

I'll have to think on it. I like the Roland stuff from past experience and yours, but having the piezo be powered through the 13 pin is great. Anyway, I'll mull it over. It seems worth it to find an alternative preamp for the piezos since the original is so large. A Powerchip may be the solution.

Yes, I'm planning on using Alan's mostly because I've done the install on other guitars. I will likely follow your guide, but I may outsource the wood work, as I don't have the tools/skill to take care of it properly. I spent my years doing electronics and chemistry.

Since we are waxing about mods, I'll organize my thoughts and make a new post tomorrow to discuss my designs.
Augustonian

Post by Augustonian »

Patzag wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:35 pm Here is a prospect.

Interesting, that is a good prospect. I'll see if they ship!
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Augustonian wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:25 am I will likely follow your guide, but I may outsource the wood work, as I don't have the tools/skill to take care of it properly.
Neither do I - I'm just willing to learn through ruining my own guitars. I look forward to reading any thoughts or mod ambitions you may have.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

Augustonian wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:27 am
Patzag wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:35 pm Here is a prospect.

Interesting, that is a good prospect. I'll see if they ship!
Speak to Mark. He will ship as long as you buy with no returns. And insured at your cost.
Augustonian

Post by Augustonian »

I did, as a consignment piece they don't usually ship. However, they agreed after I asked enough questions that they figured I knew enough about the guitar.

Anyway, it appears I'll have a new guitar soon. I have begun planning in earnest for the mods.

Thanks for your help guys.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Augustonian wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:11 pm On similar note, I've been considering taking out the circuit board in a GK5 and using a secondary stereo jack for the newer serial cable system they have. It's an idea in it's infancy but I believe it would make for a very nice and compact internal install for a guitar which only has so much space. Saves complicating the install but increases complexity downstream.
That would be very interesting, as I own a GK5 and a GM800 (previously owned the Gk3/GR20 combo a couple of times)...

Not that I would ever modify my Flys to accomodate it (I didn't even install the GK5 on one of my Flys), but still, very interesting...