Floating trem system feels "tight"?

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
jzacharia

Floating trem system feels "tight"?

Post by jzacharia »

Hey all. Picked up a 95 Deluxe Fly on Reverb a few months ago. Have absolutely loved playing it. Was wondering if the 10g spring was supposed to feel this tight on the trem? Granted the trem bar that came with the guitar wasn't a stock one, it's actually a bit shorter and I figure this may contribute to the resistance I feel when pushing down to dive. My buddy grabbed a deluxe recently as well and is rocking the 9g spring with a stock trem bar and it feels infinitely easier to dive down on. I've followed the guide on this site for setting up the floating bridge system. Is this normal?
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Re: Floating trem system feels "tight"?

Post by vjmanzo »

Hi @jzacharia—have you checked the angle of the spring in the three-ridge spring slot? The slot deepest inside the instrument (furthest from you) will feel stiffer than the slot closest to you.
Musikron

Post by Musikron »

Agree, check which slot you're in. Also, a shorter arm will absolutely make the trem feel stiffer, so start by getting that back to stock before I worry about a 9 spring.
jzacharia

Post by jzacharia »

vjmanzo wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:29 pm Hi @jzacharia—have you checked the angle of the spring in the three-ridge spring slot? The slot deepest inside the instrument (furthest from you) will feel stiffer than the slot closest to you.
So I have it slotted into the 3rd slot (closest to me), have tried the others as well. I will go with @Musikron's suggestion and try to get a stock bar. Not having any luck online currently.