threaded rod for balance wheel is spinning

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
radguitar

threaded rod for balance wheel is spinning

Post by radguitar »

Hey guys, I just got a 1994 Fly Deluxe, and I noticed the threaded rod for balance wheel "spins with the balance wheel" when I try to turn the wheel to tighten tension. As a result I can't really get enough tension on the flat spring to get the guitar tuned. I included some pictures of the hole where the threaded rod goes. It seems like maybe some kind of small part is missing? Any ideas?
Here are the pics:

mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Threaded rod for balance wheel is spinning

Post by mmmguitar »

@radguitar, I've had this happen with two different Flys; and each time it was binding due to the adjustment wheel failing to smoothly travel along the threads of the cylinder. Have you lubed the threads and/or checked for any scratches? With one Fly, cleaning and lubing the cylinder threads got everything working smoothly, again. For the other, I ended up replacing it with a clean one from Mike G/Wiguitar/G.man (the old cylinder has been sitting in a parts box until the day I decide how I'm going to burnish or re-cut the threads).

#WheelIssues
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
radguitar

Re: threaded rod for balance wheel is spinning

Post by radguitar »

mmmguitar wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:01 pm @radguitar, I've had this happen with two different Flys; and each time it was binding due to the adjustment wheel failing to smoothly travel along the threads of the cylinder. Have you lubed the threads and/or checked for any scratches? With one Fly, cleaning and lubing the cylinder threads got everything working smoothly, again. For the other, I ended up replacing it with a clean one from Mike G/Wiguitar/G.man (the old cylinder has been sitting in a parts box until the day I decide how I'm going to burnish or re-cut the threads).
Great thanks, yea I did lube it, but still was happening even after that. I just gave it a second look though and yeah the threads to look a bit chewed up on the cylinder. I found that guy's online store, thank you! I will try getting a new cylinder from him and see how it goes.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

radguitar wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:15 pm I found that guy's online store, thank you!
Hopefully I haven't led you astray! In the meantime: Was the issue you were having a case of the threaded rod moving through the tension wheel up until a certain point where the whole assembly abruptly begins to turn, or were there other symptoms that come to mind (e.g., a "rough point" where extra force was needed to turn the wheel, any moments where the tension seemed to slip, etc.)?

From what I recall without having one in front of me, the whole flatspring compression adjustment assembly (threaded rod, threaded wheel, T-bar, and ridge plate) is simple enough in design that the main thing to go wrong is how they fit together (e.g., the threaded rod will spin in its mounting hole if the wheel binds on its threads; the T bar can be installed upside down; and the ridge plate can be out of alignment with the spring if the string/spring counterbalance is out of whack).

Here's to hoping your issue is no more severe than mine was.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
radguitar

Post by radguitar »

mmmguitar wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:29 pm
radguitar wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:15 pm I found that guy's online store, thank you!
Hopefully I haven't led you astray! In the meantime: Was the issue you were having a case of the threaded rod moving through the tension wheel up until a certain point where the whole assembly abruptly begins to turn, or were there other symptoms that come to mind (e.g., a "rough point" where extra force was needed to turn the wheel, any moments where the tension seemed to slip, etc.)?

From what I recall without having one in front of me, the whole flatspring compression adjustment assembly (threaded rod, threaded wheel, T-bar, and ridge plate) is simple enough in design that the main thing to go wrong is how they fit together (e.g., the threaded rod will spin in its mounting hole if the wheel binds on its threads; the T bar can be installed upside down; and the ridge plate can be out of alignment with the spring if the string/spring counterbalance is out of whack).

Here's to hoping your issue is no more severe than mine was.
Yeah it was basically doing the first thing you described, in the early stages of turning the balance wheel the cylinder is firmly in place, until it reaches a certain point where the cylinder just "starts turning suddenly." I'm tempted to try and clean the cylinder a second time (and be more thorough) but at this point I really just want to wait for the new cylinder to come in the mail. I turned the cylinder a few times where now I'm afraid I might have slightly worn down the "lip" or whatever that catches inside the channel that is cut into the cylinder. It seems like the lip is more prominent towards the rear of the cavity that the cylinder goes into, and is slightly more shallow as you get closer to the outlet hole. So hopefully I haven't grinded it down too much with all the turning I did earlier. And who knows what the previous owner did! He had the trem blocked off with a small block of wood so maybe he tried to mess with it too and gave up.
radguitar

Post by radguitar »

Okay just wanted to post an update: the new cylinder I ordered fixed the issue! I received it in the mail, lubed it with Radioshack contact cleaner (basically a light oil), and installed it and the guitar was working normally afterwards.
I really appreciate your help mmmguitar, you're a life saver.
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

radguitar wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:07 pm I really appreciate your help mmmguitar, you're a life saver.
You can thank me by showing the rest of us some photos of that sweet '94 Deluxe! :D