STILL THE ONE!

Show and tell! This is a place to showcase your Parker guitar! New members are encouraged to introduce themselves here.
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Re: STILL THE ONE!

Post by Patzag »

I can measure pins if it helps. I need to know which ones to test. A picture would help! @peaches also was info'ed on this. Maybe VJ can email or text him to ask to check in - he might have greater knowledge.

If you're at a total impasse, I can send you my spare preamp to test on the guitar. We can then deal accordingly if the preamp is dead - which I still have a hard time believing, but these things can happen!
tusker9

Post by tusker9 »

Thanks @Patzag for your response & generous offer.

Based on all of the above input/posts, I'm going to replace the flex PCB, without any further testing. We know that there are a couple broken wires in existing flex PCB. We'll see what happens, & take it from there.

I'll let you know what happens. Thanks much!
tusker9

Post by tusker9 »

Hi all,

Getting back as to status of my '96 Deluxe. Prompting issue for discussion has been that master volume no longer operates properly when piezo/mag toggle is in mid position (both piezo & mags on). We were aware of a tear in the flex PCB at the piezo vol/tone pot. I recently replaced that section of the flex PCB with the one now available from EGIL. However, the issue remains unsolved. I lost my go-to guitar tech. He's moving out of the area. Another guy says it's "over his head" to attempt to fix it. I did the replacement myself, with exception being that I didn't get the cotter pin back in the red button which switches stereo/mono according to the plug/cable being used. I can probably get it back with with concerted effort. Other than the red button issue, I'm back to square one.

At this juncture, I've decided to sell my Deluxe. I would think that someone who has the "where-with-all" to fix it might want to pick it up. I'm just notifying this forum first. Again thanks for all your efforts to help me out. Please contact me from this forum, or directly at heyday749@gmail.com if you have an interest. I haven't landed on an asking price, but that could, of course, be discussed.

Thank you.
Peaches
Fly Clone Research Team Member

Post by Peaches »

tusker9 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:54 pm Hi all,

Getting back as to status of my '96 Deluxe. Prompting issue for discussion has been that master volume no longer operates properly when piezo/mag toggle is in mid position (both piezo & mags on). We were aware of a tear in the flex PCB at the piezo vol/tone pot. I recently replaced that section of the flex PCB with the one now available from EGIL. However, the issue remains unsolved. I lost my go-to guitar tech. He's moving out of the area. Another guy says it's "over his head" to attempt to fix it. I did the replacement myself, with exception being that I didn't get the cotter pin back in the red button which switches stereo/mono according to the plug/cable being used. I can probably get it back with with concerted effort. Other than the red button issue, I'm back to square one.

At this juncture, I've decided to sell my Deluxe. I would think that someone who has the "where-with-all" to fix it might want to pick it up. I'm just notifying this forum first. Again thanks for all your efforts to help me out. Please contact me from this forum, or directly at heyday749@gmail.com if you have an interest. I haven't landed on an asking price, but that could, of course, be discussed.

Thank you.
Hi Tusker, my apologies for taking so long to get to this post, I thought I had my notifications set up to get an email any time I am tagged. Well of course that wasn't the case and here I am over a month since, viewing the post. You said you are in the Cape Cod area, correct? I am in RI and would be happy to fix it if I can get it into my hands.

I did my best to read through this thread, and have a few preliminary questions, I am not sure if these have been tried or tested yet.
- Have the pots / switches in the signal chain been desoldered and tested in isolation to ensure they're working as intended?
- If the flex pcb has broken traces, were jumper wires connected to reestablish connection? (edit: if flex was replaced, then this is no longer an issue)
tusker9

Post by tusker9 »

Thanks @Peaches for your response & offer to fix my Fly.

Can't conclusively answer your question as to the degree to which all pots & switches have been tested. My go-to guitar tech, Frank C. did test "pretty thoroughly", but to my knowledge, didn't desolder & isolate all components. He did say he thought they were working ok. As mentioned in previous post, I replaced 1 of the 2 flex PCB's; the one which connects to the output jack. That section of the original did have a visible rip across a couple wires, so that's been corrected.

We could definitely talk further about my bringing the Fly to you in RI. Thanks for getting in touch; thought we'd lost the patient! Please advise.
Peaches
Fly Clone Research Team Member

Post by Peaches »

Happy to report we once again have a working guitar!

I got @tusker9's guitar in my hands this past Sunday.

Problem came down to a broken solder joint on the mag tone potentiometer (pictured below, the rightmost pin). Likely broken from the tumble it took a while back. I was able to wiggle the connection in and out of continuity in the state below. Replacing the flex PCB with our new one did the trick (though of course just reflowing this joint using the original flex would have been acceptable too). But given Tusker already replaced the other flex, I figured no reason not to go ahead and drop the new one in 8-)

Kudos to @Voice Of Reason for correctly surmising the problem all the way back in February!
Attachments
IMG-3452.jpg
tusker9

Post by tusker9 »

Hi All,

As @Peaches posted, my Fly is once again fully functional! I want to thank all who posted (you know who you are), helping to diagnose the malfunction. When it seemed my perceived options were pretty much exhausted, Peaches stepped in and declared "I'd be happy to fix it". This past Sunday morning I travelled to RI from Cape Cod, MA to retrieve a fixed guitar from Peaches (aka Ryan)-guitar electronics tech extraordinaire! Particular thanks to you, Ryan!! You guys should feel good about having accomplished stated mission of FlyClone, and then some. As for myself: Definitely worth the effort to get it working perfectly again. It's been almost a year since I really sat down & played the Fly, which I did Sunday evening, again realizing what a phenomenal guitar it is! Saving Parkers from extinction seems like a noble cause to me, so keep up the great work!
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

tusker9 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:34 pm Saving Parkers from extinction seems like a noble cause to me
Oh, yes. They can be quite difficult to breed in captivity.

ken fly.jpeg
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
tusker9

Post by tusker9 »

Be that as it may, this appears to be a new strain!!