Increasing neck thickness in refinishing?

Parts, mods, projects, and requests/concepts based on adaptations of Fly parts
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Increasing neck thickness in refinishing?

Post by mmmguitar »

There may yet be a more appropriate subforum for this topic (the trash? :lol: ).

Though my Flys are a joy to play, I find my thicker-necked guitars more comfortable. Being as I have a refinishing project coming up, I'm considering an experiment which may cause some to clutch their pearls: Cutting a thin fabric sheet to the length of the Fly neck, soaking it with a thin epoxy resin, applying it in a laminate layer to the rear of the neck, curing, then sanding a smooth transition in and out of the layered area prior to applying the new paint.

neck.jpeg

The idea is inspired by the now-commonplace CF cloth patch repair of guitars with painted necks (Gibson does this with popped headstocks), as well as the CF lamination construction of the Fly and Nitefly necks. FWIW, I've seen this method successfully utilized within repairs in which a slight increase in neck thickness was a byproduct to be compensated for in reshaping the neck carve afterward - But I've never seen or read of it being done for its own sake. I have three beater/project Flys I want to refinish - Even if I don't work up the nerve with the first one, I'm liable to attempt it with one of the others.

Thoughts? Why is everyone holding a tomato? Why is that person demanding I hand over the guitar? I'm aware there are other materials I could build up the neck with - I'm open to suggestions.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory
Voice Of Reason
Forum Veteran

Re: Increasing neck thickness in refinishing?

Post by Voice Of Reason »

That is quite the endeavour you have there Marc!

I’d be more concerned about the transition with the heel, but I’m sure you’ll figure something out (if it can be done).

In the meantime, here’s another way to add layers:
Attachments
IMG_1292.jpeg
1998 Fly Classic
Patzag
Forum Veteran

Post by Patzag »

mmmguitar wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:46 am There may yet be a more appropriate subforum for this topic (the trash? :lol: ).

Though my Flys are a joy to play, I find my thicker-necked guitars more comfortable. Being as I have a refinishing project coming up, I'm considering an experiment which may cause some to clutch their pearls: Cutting a thin fabric sheet to the length of the Fly neck, soaking it with a thin epoxy resin, applying it in a laminate layer to the rear of the neck, curing, then sanding a smooth transition in and out of the layered area prior to applying the new paint.

neck.jpeg

The idea is inspired by the now-commonplace CF cloth patch repair of guitars with painted necks (Gibson does this with popped headstocks), as well as the CF lamination construction of the Fly and Nitefly necks. FWIW, I've seen this method successfully utilized within repairs in which a slight increase in neck thickness was a byproduct to be compensated for in reshaping the neck carve afterward - But I've never seen or read of it being done for its own sake. I have three beater/project Flys I want to refinish - Even if I don't work up the nerve with the first one, I'm liable to attempt it with one of the others.

Thoughts? Why is everyone holding a tomato? Why is that person demanding I hand over the guitar? I'm aware there are other materials I could build up the neck with - I'm open to suggestions.
I find this fascinating [if sacrilegious]. How much thickness are you expecting to add? Did you think about adding a layer of veneer? Possibly more even in thickness? And would taper off more smoothly than fabric at the edge of the neck, where I assume you don't want to add thickness.
vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo »

Love this, Marc! 🔥
Patzag wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:12 pm How much thickness are you expecting to add?
For reference, the fingerboard thickness was 30 thousandths of an inch, so most the Flys with a “chunky” neck had that much extra added. The NiteFly that Ken made for Gabrels had three stacked fingerboards added to give the neck baseball bat thickness! 🙂
mmmguitar
Forum Veteran

Post by mmmguitar »

Patzag wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:12 pm Did you think about adding a layer of veneer?
I had; and may do something with veneer in a dry run experiment where I conform it to the neck without necessarily adhering it. So far, I like Voice of Reason's fluffy gloves suggestion the best. I was discussing this with someone else, who pointed out that just building up sufficient layers of a fast-curing epoxy and sanding it back until it feels right might be the simplest approach to try prior to deeming veneer or fabric necessary.
Summary of the Parker Guitars speculator market from 2020 onward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory