How To Fix a Stuck Vibrato Arm Set Screw

How-to's, info, thoughts, and musings directly from the Fly-est Parker
Voice Of Reason
Forum Veteran

Re: How To Fix a Stuck Vibrato Arm Set Screw

Post by Voice Of Reason »

vjmanzo wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:44 pm
Voice Of Reason wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:36 pm N.b. I take it fluttering has never been possible at all with the Parker vibrato system?
A couple years back, I had started looking into the mechanics of what is actually fluttering, but I didn’t get very far. Do you know for certain if it’s the bar? The bridge itself? The spring? Some combination therein?
Interesting. I can’t offer much other than the bridge must be in floating mode and the bar needs to fit tightly. Some mention the bridge post types being key to this (however flutter does work on ball-bearing as well).

Some non-floyd brands cannot do this or as much. There are indeed several components, however it seems to have been an unintentional result of each vibrato system design.
1998 Fly Classic
billy
Forum Veteran

Post by billy »

One key to a flutter on a Floyd style is to make sure the bridge is not higher on one side or the other. This helps keep the knife edges aligned in the same plane.

When they are a little off plane, it seems some of that bar vibration goes elsewhere.

I can’t say for sure if this would be the same on a fly, but I imagine so- only instead of knife edges you have axis of rotation.
Billy

Spruce spruce and CF forever...
Jayrod99

Post by Jayrod99 »

Hi! I have an issue related to this topic. I’m trying to adjust the tension of the hex trem arm on my pre-refined Fly. I’d like the arm to fall away when I let it go. However, even when I loosen the set screw significantly, the rotation is still quite stiff. I’d appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Voice Of Reason
Forum Veteran

Post by Voice Of Reason »

Jayrod99 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:08 pm Hi! I have an issue related to this topic. I’m trying to adjust the tension of the hex trem arm on my pre-refined Fly. I’d like the arm to fall away when I let it go. However, even when I loosen the set screw significantly, the rotation is still quite stiff. I’d appreciate any advice. Thanks!
The set screw is to prevent the bushing from wobbling. Therefore, from what I was explained, it is not possible to set the arm loose ala Floyd Rose.
1998 Fly Classic